JanusVM version Jan-2010 has been released

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MrBrian, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

JanusVM version Jan-2010 has been released. Free but donations are accepted.

JanusVM creates a virtual network adapter, through which all TCP and DNS traffic is routed. UDP and ICMP traffic is unsupported and thus blocked. Because of the usage of a virtual network adapter, you can use your existing browser configuration with JanusVM.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I'll repost mostly intact here a comment I left at another site last year, comparing JanusVM to some other similar tools. (I had previously used OperaTor before switching to JanusVM.)

JanusVM is a better choice than OperaTor, in my opinion. Here are some reasons why JanusVM may be better than OperaTor:

a) Your true IP can be compromised with OperaTor if you turn on Java or plugins (such as Flash, RealPlayer, Quicktime, and others), which you may need for some websites. The reason for this is that OperaTor knows your true IP address, and therefore leakage of your true IP address can happen via Java or plugins. Http://www.decloak.net/ uses some of these methods to try to expose your true IP. With JanusVM, on the other hand, your browser doesn't know your true IP address, so Java, Flash, etc. cannot leak it.
    b) OperaTor browser may not be using the latest version of Opera, which can expose you to drive-by downloads. With JanusVM, you use your existing browser.
    c) OperaTor is a different browser from your normal browser, and thus you might not have your bookmarks and other settings available when you use OperaTor. With JanusVM, you use your existing browser. You don't need to change any browser settings when using JanusVM.
    d) OperaTor is only for anonymous browsing; other applications aren't anonymized. JanusVM transparently sends all of your computer's TCP traffic through Tor, which allows you to anonymize other applications. You don't need to change any applications' settings when using JanusVM.

Here are some reasons why JanusVM may be better than JonDo or Vidalia:

a) With Vidalia and JonDo, your browser still knows your true IP address, and thus Java, Flash, ActiveX, RealPlayer, Quicktime, Adobe's PDF plugin, and others, if they are enabled, can reveal your true IP address. With JanusVM, on the other hand, your browser doesn't know your true IP address, so Java, Flash, etc. cannot leak it.
    b) With Vidalia and JonDo, you have to configure the browser's proxy settings. With JanusVM, you don't change any applications' settings. JanusVM, however, requires the use of a virtual machine (you can use the free VMware Player) and the use of the JanusVM VPN network connection.

Some possible disadvantages of xB Browser are that it may not be based on the latest version of Firefox, which could make you more vulnerable to drive-by downloads, and also xB Browser is a different browser from your normal browser.

You can use http://www.decloak.net/ to test for some methods used to reveal true IP addresses. In my own tests, http://www.decloak.net/ did not reveal my true IP address with JanusVM and FireFox v3.0.11 with Java and JavaScript (and implicitly all plugins) turned on. Http://www.decloak.net/ did reveal my true IP address with OperaTor when I turned on Java, JavaScript, and plugins. It should be noted that by default OperaTor has Java, JavaScript, and plugins turned off, and the OperaTor developer warns that "the only protocols which OperaTor anonymizes are HTTP and HTTPS, thus if you want to stay anonymous you should avoid using other Opera features (e.g. Java, JavaScript, Bittorrent, integrated e-mail and IRC clients)."

Instructions for using JanusVM are found at http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=11251.

Disclosure: I have used OperaTor and JanusVM. I have not used Vidalia, JonDo, or xB Browser.

3. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Lack of UDP support is unacceptable for me, FWIW.

Also, although they're provided together, xB Browser (modified Firefox) is distinct from XeroBank (anonymizing network). One can use any browser -- indeed, any app using any protocol, AFAIK -- with XeroBank and other OpenVPN-based services.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Evidently it does not work on a Vista 64 bit.

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

How do You use JanusVM on Linux with Virtualbox?

And the JanusPA still has the FYI @ buy now section. It's been more than a few days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.