iyogi ad in PAID AVAST!! arghhhh

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sded

sded Registered Member

Where is the ad? I just forced an update and still can't find it. I would expect to find it under the "help center" tab on the status page, where it is mostly invisible to experienced users, and would have no objection to it there, but no such luck. Making it a "push" ad for paid users shouldn't be done, though.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

from what i am hearing at this point its a limited group to receive it..

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I did see that part. And I see no problem with that. Just my opinion, but if I was to be using the paid version of Avast and I saw that ad, I'd just ignore it.

4. stratoc

stratoc Guest

gotta say. i would remove product and ask for refund. maybe that's just me...

5. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Hello Mr. CEO,

I just want to say one thing, You should reconsider your decision once again, because many of your customer won't like this move which you have taken. Because nobody would like to get nagged by these ads. May be i was wrong but probably you'll get a huge negative response for this thing.

Cheers,

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

PSSSST.... Mr CEO's name is Vincent:)

7. AvinashR

Thanks for informing me the same..Actually i was not aware of this thing earlier.

Actually i have used the term Mr. CEO because, last night i have saw a hollywood film "Airforce 1" where people address their president as "Mr President"..That's why i used "Mr. CEO"

8. zfactor

yes but if they do this it make me and im sure many others wonder what ads will come next....

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I can and do understand the basis of your complaint, but it is worth noting that Avast is not the only security software company to outsource technical support. Another point of concern appears to be with the high pressure sales tactics that certain iyogi staff are resorting to. If I were the AvastCEO then I would 1) nix any and all suggestive sales thru the support queue and 2) have a QC team that listens in on random calls to insure compliance. If this is not an option then Avast should find a more reliable outsourced support company to do business with.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So your one of "The Chosen ones." Do you feel blessed?;)

11. zfactor

not at all lol...

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

For those of you that have missed the point of this thread and i find that "hard to believe" :rolleyes: , let me spell it out to you.

The image isn't just showing a way to receive support for avast, it also involves the selling of 3rd party "paid additional services" which is utter ~ Snipped as per TOS ~

Frankly, it's pure greed on avast's part and a total lack of respect towards it's paid users and i would not trust or recommend anything from this company from this point forward :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  13. AvinashR

Absolutely agree with you...Mr. CEO (Avast) is on wrong path now. He should consider his decision once again. BTW what a surprise, COMODO removed HopSurf Bar and other irrelevant things from his FREE product and Avast added crap advertisements on his PAID product. :D

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think it is more important that Avast makes money on their AV, than Comodo does on its program. Two different companies with different business models.

15. zfactor

lol now its a new ad today if no one has not noticed yet. i will prob be uninstalling till this gets fixed. i for one AM NOT HAPPY about this garbage

16. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

zfactor, is it an ad for the iyogi support again?
    For an avast product/feature or something else?

I'm starting to get curious about this move.
    Haven't got the paid version myself and I'm not a 'chosen one' (j/k), so I can't check myself.

For those requesting the Avast CEO to step down or commit harakiri because of this slightly messy situation; chill out ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.
    Comparisons to Comodo are pretty far fetched so let's not go that route.

As zfactor pointed out, a simple opt-in/opt-out function will be enough to satisfy the rightfully disgruntled.
    I'd expect Avast to fix this issue quickly and have a very serious talk with iyogi about their BS sales pitch.
    Especially the lather can have infuriating effects on people (like me).

17. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Here's the latest incarnation of the ad...The Lady Vanishes!!....less pushy??
    Just noticed it this evening, so can't confirm what was there yesterday. Think this outsourcing of support is a bad move for avast, and this project seems like a dangerous gamble, with the potentiality to alienate new users of the suite.

Attached Files:

18. zfactor

the new add was added today in place of the old one avast seems to think its less "ad like" but i find it all the same minus the lady. i hope they update this quickly with a way to turn off these ads or ill be going elsewhere and i DO not want to as i really like avast and was comfortable for a while with it.

19. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Feel bad for ya zfactor considering the 3 year purchase for 12 computers.

20. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

I don't get the big deal here guys. It's not an ad. They are not selling beer or cookies. It's a notice about support and how to obtain it. Really don't see what the big deal is.

21. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

No, it'll be someone with limited command of English working from a call centre in the Indian sub-continent!

22. AvinashR

LOL...:D

Me too from India. BTW the number provided by Avast is not from India. :)

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Just because the number is not from India doesn't mean you don't get redirected there. I know for a fact a lot of companies do redirect you.

Now, whether or not they have a limited command of English is up for debate. It depends on many factors - you might actually have a good experience from time to time. :)

24. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Got the new "ad" today (attached). speaking only for myself, I'd prefer it without the involvement of a 3rd-party with their own (legitimate) support upselling agenda but this version is acceptable to me as a paying customer, because it begins with the question, "Do you need help?" I can answer, "No.", and ignore it. (I'm not convinced that the phone number is free from Australia.:doubt:)

I run AIS in "Silent/Gaming" mode and with "General Program Access" password protected, on XP PCs where the user must be logged-in as "Adminstrator".
    So our users can't even see the "ad". Just a thought.

Attached Files:

25. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i dont understand you people, its telling you a way u can get support if u need help with avast, so its outsourced, do u know how many things u use are outsourced to be produced? do u go and boycott all of those products? outsourcing isnt a new thing, and its necessary sometimes if thers no infrastructure for phone support available within avast yet. this isnt an advertisement for a different product, its an advertisement to let u know wer u can get support, how can that be considered a bad thing...

i dont know anything about how good their support is, and thats another issue but complaining because avast is offering a way to get support to the people who need it is just idiotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.