iVPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by overworkedmonkey, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Confirmed. I just received an email back stating exactly what 0strodamus just said. Also that you'll receive an invoice at the end of the year asking whether you want to renew or not.

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I'm relatively new to anonymity/privacy software/VPN's.
    Trying out iVPN, now I know of tests to check out the anonymous part but is there a way to check and make sure that the connection is also encrypted?
    I know it should be, just wondering if there is a way to check this?

3. luciddream

The only thing I can think of is: if you're using a wireless connection, take a 2'nd computer or laptop and put a packet sniffer (like Wireshark) on it. Do something to transmit data on the primary computer (i.e. download something). Check Wireshark on the other computer and try to look at the packets/headers. You shouldn't be able to read them if it's encrypted.

I'd be interested in hearing the results if you want to try this. I don't have another computer to test it myself.

4. LoneWolf

Not wireless, desktop.
    But thanks for the suggestion.

5. luciddream

I guess if you hard-wired a 2'nd computer into that router you could do something similar. I just kind of assume everything's going according to plan, admittedly.

How did your trial of iVPN go LoneWolf? Is it something you think you're gonna make a permanent part of your setup? Plan on trying any other anonymity solutions?

6. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

You should be able to just run Wireshark on your physical adapter to see the encrypted traffic. If you're not sure what the difference is between encrypted an unencrypted traffic, try running Wireshark without a VPN connected and browse a few websites. You should see HTTP requests with some plaintext strings that are easy to make out (like the web addresses). Establish a VPN and browse a few more sites and you should no longer see the same traffic in Wireshark.

One thing to remember to check is that Wireshark is capturing on the physical interface and not the virtual TAP adapter. If you capture packets on the virtual adapter then they will still appear unencrypted.

Unfortunately, this wouldn't work as the way switches and routers function prevents this from happening unless you are monitoring traffic on the switch/router itself. You can use your method with a simple hub but they are getting harder to find these days!

7. luciddream

Thanks traxx. That was quite helpful :thumb:

8. LoneWolf

Sorry for the late reply, not sure if it will become permanent or not as of yet.
    Just don't know if this is something I really need or not.
    Pretty much just testing the waters in anonymity I guess.
    I've tried a few others, but I was not very impressed.

9. luciddream

Good approach testing those waters and not jumping in with both feet :thumb: I did a lot of testing before making my decision, and the best solution for one person isn't always the best for another. If I didn't use P2P my list of candidates would have been much bigger, and I may have chosen another.

Look at the other post in here "Anonymity Services..." for more info., if you haven't already. You seem pretty observant so you probably did. Basically, Anonine & VPNTunnel.se were other paid choices that looked good. You may want to give them a shot. Mullvad is a free solution worth trying. I explained in that thread (last page) how to set it up. I saw a few people say they tried Comodo TrustConnect, but haven't heard feedback about it.

I hope you find a solution that suits your needs, even if that ends up being the ISP you've already got.

Cheers mate

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You wouldn't have. ;)

@LoneWolf: iVPN is the best VPN. :thumb: Don't even waste your time elsewhere. ;)

11. luciddream

Yeah, as soon as I tried this one I simply had no reason to look elsewhere, so you're probably right.

But I at least would have "considered" other ones...

12. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Yeah, I'm just saying that based on my experience trying out some others. I should have saved myself a little money and just followed your lead...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.