iUNMETERED VPN Service

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Zero3K, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Anyone have any experiences to share regarding it? Its been working pretty well for me (except for some lag). You can get more info and a free account (for now, anyways) by going to http://www.iunmetered.com.

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Site isn't very 2.0

How many hops are they?

How many customers do they have?

How long have they been around offering VPN service?

Do they have a public forum to address issues?

How many exit servers do they have?
    Can I choose which exit servers I use?

Is this being run by Netriplex in Asheville, NC?
    IPv4 address: 216.59.18.10
    IPv6 address: ::ffff:d83b:120a
    Host name: www.iunmetered.com
    Reverse DNS: mail.iunmetered.com
    City: Asheville, NC

How is it free?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I would suggest that you email admin at iunmetered dot com with those questions since I don't have any answers to them.

4. Metastasio

Metastasio Registered Member

Honestly... do you think a snooping agent would tell you he was *not* going to respect you privacy and monitor your packets on such a service? In other words, agents lie. Frequently. They will say anything to ensnare you. "I am not a police man. I am not lying. I am like you."

I wouldn't touch such a service with a 10-foot pole.

Good luck, though. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. Searching_ _ _

^ :LOL What about an 11-foot pole? Cause it's 1-foot longer and therefore makes it safe.

6. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

That website has a "cookie-cutter" appearance to it... as if it was whipped up by a novice using a template, or a clone of some other site. A lot of the information seems inconsistent, incomplete, and/or poorly worded... and the pricing structure for their services makes no sense whatsoever (e.g. the home page shows 2 plan "A" VPS with identical specs--except that one is $7.99 and the other is $20). o_O I could be wrong, but judging by my first impression, it seems like it may be a quasi-legitimate "fly-by-night" company, at best :(

7. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I think that they have just started running the site. Give them a month or two and the site should be better looking, etc. If it doesn't happen by then, I'll ask the admin to improve it.

8. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

seems to me you have some form of connection with the admin or owner of that VPN, and your initial post seems to be advertising it. Why would you care so much whether they look better in two months or not if you didnt have a relationship with them in some way

9. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I just want them to do well, that's all. I'm not receiving any money from them.

10. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

I see that the webmaster has made some progress on the site since my last post. The "More Details >>>" link on the main page goes to a cleaner version of the site... now it makes more sense :)

However I would note that their policies are rather conflicting... on the "Company" page there's a flash banner which states:
    But then it goes on to say:
    Now, while it's perfectly understandable for a VPN provider to discourage unlawful behavior as much as possible, if they truly don't keep any logs on client activity, how exactly is this "zero tolerance" policy enforceable?

Or are these policies just a formality that the lawyers make them say, but aren't really actionable?

11. box750

box750 Registered Member

There is a misunderstanding by many people when they read "no logs", what VPNs normally mean by this is that they do not store what websites you visit and what you download/upload, but they will store what customer had what IP on what date and at what time.

If website X says on Monday 24th April at 5:50pm UTC someone with IP 123.x.x.x hacked us, the VPN only needs to look at what customer had that IP at that time, they don't need the logs of what they did, the part making the complaint will already have those logs anyway.

The VPN does not need logs of the customer activities for anything, it is up the complainant to provide that in Court/anywhere, and they surely will have them, if certain IP downloads/uploads, that is loged in the server where is downloading/uploading from they just need to find out the IP owner and nothing else.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  12. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

It depends on what service you sign up for since there are two of them. One of them lets you have your own unique IP address when signing on to the VPN server while the other one has you share the IP address with other users. Right now, the option for having a unique IP address is currently unavailable for signing up to.

13. Searching_ _ _

Just a few problems:
    They're logging me.
    They state that this is a secure login, but they're not even using SSL. o_O

The previous page asks for a VPN Password. No SSL and they don't hide the password behind asterisks.

If my IP is monitoring me they have all of the info of me signing up and access to my account.

14. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

I think they don't have any security set up (when registering) at the moment because its in a "beta testing" period.

15. podtim

podtim Registered Member

@Zero3K

Since you say you've got it working, what server setup details did you use? (vpn.iunmetered.com perhaps?) I can't find the server address or any other setup specs listed anywhere on the site.

I can't tell if my account's user name is supposed to be my "order number" or email address, but I assume it must be either one or the other. The FAQ page is no help. Is there a webpage that has the necessary account setup details?

thank you

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  16. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Did you get an email from them titled "Your VPN welcome mail with setup instructions"? If not, then your account hasn't been activated yet.

17. podtim

podtim Registered Member

No, that's not what happened. I received 2 emails. The first was titled "Order Confirmation" and just told me the order number that was assigned to me. A minute later I got the second email titled "Welcome" and it just told me my account was set up and to login to the member area at http://clients.iunmetered.com using the email address and password I had just signed up with. (I can log in to the site fine)

I never got an email titled "Your VPN welcome mail with setup instructions" (can I get a copy of yours, Zero3K? -- minus personal account details, of course)

There was no VPN setup instructions in either email I got, nor any on the website or in the member's area that I could find.

If I just knew their VPN server address, I could easily set it up myself if its a standard VPN configuration.

18. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

You have to wait some more before you get that instruction.Because I recieved 4 email instantly[welcome,Order Confirmation, Invoice Payment Confirmation,customer invoice] I recieved the instructions like 4 hours after.You have to wait until your vpn account has been activated to receive instructions and links.

19. podtim

podtim Registered Member

Thanks PRUHDG

It's been 2 days ago since I registered and all I got were the first two emails. The second one said my account was activated. I've set up many VPN accounts before, and the only needed field inputs were username, password, and server address. Since I already have a username and password, knowing the server address should be all I need to connect. Are these instructions that they send really even needed for an experienced user?

I don't understand why this information is being so tightly guarded. All other VPN services I've dealt with post their server addresses and setup instructions on a public webpage.

I can only assume that since I only received the first two emails -- two days ago-- that there's probably no need for me to wait for the other mails since two days have already passed without me getting them. So it looks like it's a lost cause.

20. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

21. podtim

podtim Registered Member

Thanks for everyone's help. I don't know why it went wrong, but I finally got it working. For some reason I was registered for the website login only but not for the VPN service. So I signed up again (a second time) by adding a service to my account and the VPN now works. It took a full day before I got the email with setup instructions, which is apparently done at the same time they approve the account, and the network connection that I had made 2 days ago now works.

22. podtim

podtim Registered Member

Re: is this VPN working for anyone?

Is this service still working for anyone?

Both US and EU worked for me for about the first week, then the US went down, and a few days later the EU was down.

I thought maybe the techs might be still setting it up, tweaking, debugging, whatever, since it was in free beta. But it has now been down for 2 weeks or so, at least for me.

So I went to the website, and saw that their payment plans were set up. So I thought maybe the trial was ended. A very good price at only $4/month, so I tried to buy a month, but when I clicked the link, I got this:

I logged into my account, and it says my VPN service is still active.

I don't know what's going on, unless maybe they might have changed the server address again. (the server address they emailed to me - us1.entervpn.com - never did work, but us2.entervpn.com did work)

Is this VPN service still working for anyone?

23. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

all the "Order" is out of stock at the client page...

sales so good ?? :D :D

24. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Re: is this VPN working for anyone?

Nope, they're probably still working on it.

25. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

Only the EU works for me the us does not load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.