ITW Test by AV-Test.org

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FRug, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@jerry no way im loving kis6.0:D
    why dump it for something heaver like f-secure when you can get faster updates and lighter this way. and the same detection rate.
    lodore

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You have guessed right ;) I saw only three infections with AVG:
    -A user that ignored the alerts from AVG. She was downloading a crack :rolleyes:
    -A user that followed a link in a unsolicited mail. I guess it was a drive-by site.
    -A user infected with a nasty spyware. I couldn´t track down that infection.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Lucas.
    Jerry

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You are welcome.
    What I have said about AVG applies to almost all major AV engines.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am of the opinion that anyone who is a safe user, keeps Windows and AV updated, and uses normal caution will find any of the popular AVs adequate. I would not use those at the bottom of the detection rate list, such as Clamwin as my AV, but anything from AVG up would do the job.

I suppose that if one clicked on every link and attachment no AV would keep the system clean.
    To show I "put my money where my mouth is," I use KAV6 and F-Secure.:D :D

I recall that not too long ago Scot's forum was attacked. Those on the forum at that time were using various AVs, and none was infected. If I remember correctly some were using AVG.
    I think that is a case of the AV doing the job, as there was nothing unsafe visiting a forum such as that one or this one.

Best,
    Jerry

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I would go further:-any test where the vendors know in advance the testing date can be manipulated by any vendor wishing to do so,as it is at the moment,all the tests can be used as marketing if so wanted,apart from ones not relying on up to date sigs,but in my opinion they are also worthless,unless of course you are a masochist and actually want to run with your av"out of date"!

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

I AGREE, no vendors should know the date of such tests, it just makes results a little invalid.

maybe some, well .. 'we know some' will change in detection for sure.

i think if a vendor gives permission to be tested, thats were it ends.

but i personally think they shouldnt even be asked to be tested, the public have the right to test such products without them not knowing when these tests are, until then ... there will never be a proper valid test.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it seems that nod32 add alot of signatures the day before the tests...
    im sure other vendors do as well.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.