iTunes freezes When Syncing a Device when Nod32 is Installed

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Zaskar, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaskar

Zaskar Registered Member

Anyone use iTunes and Nod32 on a Windows 7 x64 system? Seems that with Nod32 installed it will freeze iTunes soon as you plug in a device to sync (iphone 4 for me). Soon as its unplugged iTunes will unfreeze. Tried both v4 and v5 Beta.

Its probably an iTunes issue as the same thing happens with Kaspersky and Microsoft Security Essentials (Didn't happen with Trend Micro Titanium though). Many people seem to be complaining about that iTunes lockup issue, but no one really has narrowed it down to the cause, they just know that enabling compatibility mode (Vista or Win 7) for some reason makes it work 80% of the time. Most seem to assume it is SP1.

Another odd thing to note is that disabling Nod32 does not correct the issue, it actually has to be removed.

It didn't always do this, I just know that I had my main PC down from standard use for a few months while I was rebuilding/overclocking (its not the OC, I tested with stock settings) and now that its back up I encountered this.

This has been reproducible by me every time on my main system and 2 test fresh installs, 1 with no updates and a bare minimum of drivers, and one fully updated. With both my current full library and with the iphone reset to a factory blank slate.

2. stackz

stackz Registered Member

I had this same issue with syncing my iPad. Follow the instructions here (either method) to prevent iTunes automatically launching when you plug in your device.

Then to sync your device etc, just plug it in, wait for the Windows message that new hardware has been installed and then manually launch iTunes.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Do you have iTunes 10.4 installed and iOS 4.3.5 installed ? I have no iTunes lock-up issues when syncing my iPad. On an Win XP Pro SP3 machine with EAV 4.2.71.2

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. Zaskar

Zaskar Registered Member

Ill try that, though it is still just a workaround. I wonder if the slight delay compatibility mode causes is what is actually responsible for making it work most of the time (Even in Win 7 compatibility mode, which based on my test results makes no sense). I also run a SSD, and it wouldn't be the first time I've encountered programs that actually had issue launching so fast.

It seems to be a Windows 7 x64 issue only.

5. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

I'm using that combination (Windows, iTunes, iPad) and I don't have this problem. It's okay with my iPhone 3GS as well.

Using NOD32 4.2.71.

Jim

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Noted and good luck, your options are Apple as you are aware.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.