It's Sunday ! Ripping internet radio streams with Streamtuner

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I have found this to be quite nice, albeit an older and I think no longer supported program.

To play and record radio station streams you will need to install these two applications:
    Streamripper (It was already installed in Ubuntu Hardy)
    Streamtuner
    and if you don't already have VLC, install that as well. (You could of course use another player like audacious but I find
    VLC best suited to the task).
    Once installed, launch Streamtuner from Applications>Sound&Video menu, click on 'Edit' and select 'Preferences' in
    order to configure Streamtuner for VLC.
    Replace all instances of xmms with vlc as shown in the screenshot.
    You can add your own favourite radio stations by clicking on 'Stream'> New Preselection and entering the station's
    URL etc. as shown in the second screenshot. That is all - just select the station and click on the 'Tune in' button
    to bring up VLC. If you want to record use the 'Record' button. The recording will be saved to your home folder in a
    new folder with the same name as the station it was recorded from.
    Third screenshot shows Streamtuner playing Venice Classic Radio station.

Notes:- I add only my own stations in Preselections. Apart from some stations listed under Xiph, I have never had
    any luck with the stuff listed under the other tabs. Being an old package most URL links are no longer valid.
    I have not yet checked to see whether the Streamtuner package is available in Ubuntu Jaunty. I will check on next
    reboot. This was all done in Hardy.
    One can of course achieve something similar by using screenlets (Radio), but it's just not the same and less stable
    than the rock solid Streamtuner.
    Some radio station url's can be found by browsing the Screamer Radio forums. If you have Windows OS and Screamer
    Radio installed you can get hundreds of station details - just copy the url's of those you want from the file
    Radio Station presets.xml.
    http://forums.screamer-radio.com/
    http://radio.netbynet.ru/style/rockmetal

Regards

Edit: I have checked, it's available in Jaunty, you also have to install streamripper pkg. Apparently, due to shoutcast problems
    some prefer to install Streamtuner from this repo https://launchpad.net/~jensmaucher/ archive/ppa

Streamtuner prefs.jpg

Streamtuner Preselections.jpg

Streamtuner playing station.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. L815

L815 Guest

Sorry for being off topic but, which gtk theme is that ?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

4. arjay1

arjay1 Registered Member

Hi - thanks for the how to. I have followed it right through (hopefully correctly).

However, when I open VLC I don't see a record button anywhere - How stooopid is that?

Any hints?

RJ

EDIT
    Unless you mean a record button in Shoutcast not VLC. If so, I have found a record function in Shoutcast in the stream menu - I'll try that.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

It's the round green record button in Streamtuner. Clicking on it after connecting to a radio station will bring up the Terminal as shown in the screenshot. Hope that helps.

Streamtuner recording.jpg

6. arjay1

arjay1 Registered Member

Ocky many thanks. Got it all working OK. Strange - the last time I tried shoutcast, the record button seemed to only record the playlist, this time it recorded the actual tracks.

Anyway, all is well. Now I am off to find a way to get the recordings onto a CD in a way that will play them in the car on an older CD player. I don't want to convert them unless I have to. My guess is that K3b will do it. It never failed me yet!

Cheers

RJ

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Your guess is right. :thumb:

8. arjay1

arjay1 Registered Member

Cheers matey - unsung hero or what......

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

May I ask how you got shoutcast recording working with streamtuner, did you download s/tuner from the repo I mentioned ?

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Update for Ubuntu Karmic 9.10.
    All as per 1st post above (i.e. vlc instead of audacious), but to get shoutcast download .deb from here .. http://ppa.launchpad.net/danny6167/ppa/ubuntu/pool/main/s/streamtuner/ There are 64 bit and 32 bit .debs.
    Works no problems for me. You can just hit the red record button in vlc to get the file to your disk in home folder or the green record button in streamtuner.

Streamtuner Karmic.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.