It would be interesting to know free anti-virus users vs paid for personal users!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

With the improvements of free versions, especially Avira and Avast and the development of MS SE, I would think the commercial programs have had to take a hit. I was a satisfied NOD32 user for six years but given the fact that Eset never offered any perks and it really didn't test any better than the rest of the mainstream programs I went free in November.

2. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

at least there should be one shareware, point is freewares doesn't give exact protection, there are always something missing and i don't like it. Pay it and get all protection.

3. guest

guest Guest

If the free versions does not give you all the protection you should use another free software that give you this protection.

I am a free security software user witout any infection in the last years.

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

If a person is willing to do a little research and go for a layered approach, they would be able to get just as good protection going free instead of paid.

5. icr

icr Registered Member

It is not true in all cases but you can have many free combinations that can give any product run for their money.

Any application you name you possibly will have its free alternative also

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What exactly is missing? For instance (leaving detection rates out of this)

1. Avast covers both viruses and malware (though honestly there's not much distinction anymore).

2. Comodo for sure, and ProcessGuard I believe cover HIPS/Behavior.

3. Comodo and Online Armor and even Windows (Vista/7) cover the firewall.

4. Drive-by downloads/Malicious scripts are both covered by antivirus and browser built-in security and tweaking.

There's a freeware program out there for every threat (besides privacy, that's a completely different deal). Keep your system updated, stick to the reputable vendors, and you'll stay protected and keep your cash.

7. guest

guest Guest

And Treathfire for behaviour blocker although avast already have one.
    Firewalls + HIPS: Comodo, PCTools.
    AV: Avast, Avira, MSE(the best free AV according to AV comparatives), AVG...
    AV supplement: Immunet

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Yes, free AVs take a proportion of market share of the industry, but to commercial programs, it's just like another competitor. Commercial programs can loose customers to free AVs, and free AV customers can switch to commercial AVs.
    Free AVs have been around for many years, just like paid-for AVs (which still class as the majority of the industry).

Also, never underestimate the power of branding and marketing.

Other AVs do offer 'perks'.

9. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Rising: great system & application reinforcement.
    Online Armor: great, not annoying HIPS & Firewall.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

The not annoying HIPS depends on the user, I like using HIPS but OA's program guard got on my nerves. It took me 30 min's of answering popups just to turn on my PC.

11. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Agreed, it's all about meeting the customer's expectations for value. The same reason some people pay a premium to own a Lexus or Mercedes, while some view such a premium as wasteful. A free AV user may feel very clever and thrifty, but may later discover a need for after-sales support. Or a customer may pay for peace-of-mind - a sense of reliability or security - which may not be tangible but still worth something to many people. If a customer sleeps better at night because they paid for Eset or Kapsersky, the money is well-spent.

If, on the other hand, you are aknowledgeable consumer - you keep up with security by participating at Wilders, you employ a layered defence, work to maintain your defence strategy, and never need after-sales support - you are saving money but instead investing your time. So are you really more clever than the paying customer? In a sense, no. You are just using your resources differently.

Full disclosure - I use free AV's and Windows firewall, but also paid for Online Armor, Shadow Defender, Paragon, and Sandboxie (did I forget anything?) :doubt:

12. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

If you are sure your system is clean then choose 'Trust everything on this computer' in safety check wizard. For program installs click on 'Trust this program' and then 'Install mode'. Not annoying really.

But I agree it depends on the user.

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It's quite true that free AVs have been around for many years but I really believe that the introduction of MSE will turn out to be a defining moment in the history of free security products.

14. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Why does everyone think that MSE is the turning point in Free av's? It does not got as many extra features like other av's (Rising's Light Hips, Avast! Behavior Shield, AVG Link Scanner, PC Tools AV Email Scanner, or Panda's single scan) What does MSE have that everyone else does not?

15. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Thats the option I used and not 1 popup to annoy me when I rebooted. Its easy to use and never get popups out of nowhere.

16. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

What MSE has that the others don't is Microsoft behind it.In the public's eyes that name is computers and association is a powerful advertising tool.

As for the 'extra features' missing,that'll be of no concern to most people,only a tiny percentage have any interest in the likes of behaviour shields and HIPS.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

People should learn that even though Microsoft is behind it; it does not make it the best. I am not saying MSE is bad I personally used it before and it was ok. I have seen no where it has the best protection so thats why I am wondering why everyone says it's a turning point.

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

+1 - its basically just another free AV, nothing more, nothing less. Sure, arguable about how well it works, light it is, good detections are. Some may just consider it a free AV which is slightly better than the others, but its still nothing revolutionary, and certainly no turning point for the industry.

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

To avoid the 30 minutes of popups, put OA in learning mode until it has gone through all your stuff. :cool:

20. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

The idea of free antivirus products appeal to a lot of people. I for one love free stuff. :) However - I usually pay for my security software. Mainly because I like having a suite with everything in one place and because I also look at it as a way to support the product and developer. It takes time and resources to further develop programs and not to mention the research that goes into malware prevention/removal.

21. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I was annoyed when I first tried installing OA a few days ago. I got hung up on the Wizard doing its system check, which went on for more than an hour(Several Snapshots) ;) , only to find out that I could not access the internet. But, that was my fault, because even though I had disabled Sygate, apparently you had to have uninstalled the drivers. Mea culpa. :rolleyes:

I tried again last night, but stopped the Wizard this time, and got it installed quickly.

Attached Files:

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I use a mix of free and paid. I pay for Prevx because I think the behavior blocker is worth it. But free AVs and firewalls fit my needs. I would like to support all of them, but I don't even have a job now.

23. gery

gery Registered Member

i am using OA paid and i only had one pop up in 7 days. The latest release is really improved and i am starting to like it.
    Off topic- my second best after ZA

24. simisg

simisg Registered Member

free is better try mse threatfire or avast and wot extension on browser

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I usually end up with a paid antivirus although I find them for free with promo offers. As for firewalls- free is pretty good. HIPS and behavior blockers can be found for free too as there are some good ones out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.