IT vs ME

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by curious george, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curious george

curious george Registered Member

So, I was told my an IT guy that supposedly a older version of Norton was far MUCH better than today's ESET. He told me something like "its being updated from a private server" all all this junk, which i didn't buy into, and then told me he had never heard of ESET. Which got me thinking, what kinda IT guy is this. Any who, does anyone know if what he says is VALID?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

"Updated from a private server"? Sounds like he was trying to sell you a product he gets paid to sell!

That being said, the New Norton 2009 has proven to be far superior than 2008 when it comes to being lighter and detecting more. It updates normally just like every other Norton product.

3. curious george

Thats the problem see. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, i was just having a debate with a pro about the "better" anti virus. Now, this wasn't a 09 version, because i have tested it, and as much as i hate it say it, Norton has started to make a comeback. I dont know if what he says is valid, but im sticking with my ESET. *By the way, this was an OLD, OLD possibly corporate version*

4. elapsed

Was this "It Tech" working in PC World by any chance? :rolleyes: (Not sure if you're in the UK, but PC World is a massive PC/accessory/software store chain which is renowned for being a place to avoid)

Anyway, I don't meet IT Techs that don't know what ESET is, after all, it's main popularity came from IT Techs and developers recommending it.

5. curious george

I dont know. The guys is my age, his FATHER is an IT guy it turns out. But hey, its no longer my burden to carry. If the owner of the computer trusts him, then by allll means. Im sticking with the best :)

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just goes to show that working in a field doesn't automatically make you smarter then anyone else. When it comes to security software I believe older versions are never as good as the latest products. Malware is changing at a rapid rate and security software must be constantly updated to stay effective against it. It's not enough to renew old subscriptions - you need the latest scanning engines and other core components.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I'd wager that your office is using either SAV Corp or Endpoint, so when the IT guy mentions private server he's probably referring to the fact that the server in your building is responsible for updating all of the client installations on each workstation.

Some people may not know what EST is, but if you mention NOD32 then it could raise an eyebrow.

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

IT n security are 2 different things

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

That IT man is either really stupid or really smart. IT tech can get a bonus, if he can spare company money, eg by keeping old AV, which is "better" than new AV.

10. curious george

Eh. He told me the updates where coming through a private server, something with a D. -shrugs-

thanks anywho!

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It doesn't sound as though the "IT" guy knows enough about Norton's competitors to make a comparison with Eset, or others for that matter. He'll probably be fired soon. :p

12. elapsed

I highly doubt it, guys (and gals) like this are everywhere.

13. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Maybe Techie has never heard of ESET because ESET running machines
    never pick up malware,and so never come into his shop?
    No,really you can get some really weird comments from "Pros".
    Before the Norton Revival,in the darkest days,you still had shop guys swear to you Norton was the only thing to run.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed and thread closed per Policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.