Issues between PCs on LAN

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SBMongoos, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

The firewall with ESS (v4.2.71.2) is creating some block between the PCs on my LAN. When I disable the firewalls on both then they can see each other. I've tried tweaking the settings but still no luck. o_O :mad:

Also, I seem to have an issue where I get the following error when trying to access my laptop from my desktop via "Network" in explorer. Error code 0x80070035. Any ideas?

Cannot seem to find solutions for either.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

3. Jenee

Jenee Registered Member

No they should not. This firewall should work with a local lan without users having to mess with the settings. When this is done on V5, a message appears to say that it is no longer as secure.

4. SBMongoos

Didn't work. Cannot believe it. This is frustrating. About to move back to NIS. Get it free from Comcast. Only way the PCs can see each other is if I turn the ESS firewall off!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you enable logging of all blocked connections in the IDS setup and reproduce the problem, what information is logged in the firewall log? Could you paste the relevant records here?

6. xxJackxx

Any firewall is less secure when you make an exception for anything. And this one does not and has not worked without adding to the trusted zone, probably ever. And the only way it has ever worked reliably for me is to add the entire local subnet to the trusted zone on all machines with ESS installed. Even adding the IP address for both of the machines I have does not work. I have to add all of 255.255.255.0 to get them to communicate uninterrupted. It's a better option than turning off the firewall on both to transfer files. The built in Windows firewall is probably the only one I have not had to tweak to get it to work.

7. SBMongoos

1. where do you enable logs exactly (maybe there are already)
    2. where are the log files kept so I can find them

8. SBMongoos

What exactly did you add/edit in the trusted zone to get this to work. I still cannot get access to the other PC. All running ESS 4.

9. xxJackxx

On the link I posted above look at the last pic. Where they have "Single address" selected, change it to "Subnet". Enter 255.255.255.0 and click ok until all of the setting are closed. Repeat for all machines with ESS installed.

10. SBMongoos

That was already done. No impact. It also adds the IP 192.168.0.0. But this did not help.

11. SBMongoos

I'm confused as hell. If I disable my firewall then each PC can see the other. I setup a Homegroup and think that's a way to work around it. Instead of using Network in Windows Explorer. Then my laptop can access my desktop folders in Homegroup but then even though my desktop sees my laptop through the Homegroup and I cannot open the folders on the laptop. I reboot to see what happens and then neither PC has access to the Homegroup.

It's friggin' nuts as there seems to be no work around or way to simply to get this to work.

Even when the firewall is turned off and I can see the laptop from my desktop in Windows Explorer -> Network and I try to access the Laptop I still get the Error code 0x80070035. I don't think this may be related to the firewall. When I enable the firewall then I cannot see the laptop on the network.

Edit:

"Computer Browser is a Service under Manage/Services. " I saw this elsewhere. Okay, I checked this and mine was set to manual on both PCs. I set it to Auto on both and restarted both PCs. No impact at all.

Uninstalled Eset Secuirty Suite (ESS) on both PCs:

Still get the Error code 0X80070035 when trying to access the laptop from the desktop when using Windows Explorer -> Network.

If I setup a Homegroup the folders are viewable from the laptop to the desktop but now not accessible and I get the "Not accessible... Might be permission settings..... blah blah"

If I check the Homegroup on the desktop the folders for the laptop are viewable but not accessible. No errors no response when clicking on the folders.

Reinstalled ESS on both PCs with same config:

Same problems exist with or without firewall enabled. Odd as I got different results earlier! :-(

Looks like I'll need to setup a couple of folders on the NAS to share files since both can access the NAS and it's on all the time.

Dude!! This is messed up and not good. What the....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  12. xxJackxx

I despise homegroup. I can't print to my printer regardless of firewall settings with homegroup enabled. I'm not sure I can follow what you have tried, but have you tried the settings I specified above with homegroup off on all machines? I'm out of suggestions if you have.

13. SBMongoos

Are you referring to this: "On the link I posted above look at the last pic. Where they have "Single address" selected, change it to "Subnet". Enter 255.255.255.0 and click ok until all of the setting are closed. Repeat for all machines with ESS installed."

If so, then no. It didn't work.

14. xxJackxx

Yep, that was it. If that didn't work with homegroup off I am out of ideas. It always worked for me. But then again I haven't actually installed the final. It worked on the beta and RC. With all the issues I have been seeing with the final I haven't had reason to mess up a perfectly good working machine to try it. :doubt:

15. SBMongoos

I'm using ESS v4. You referring to v5?

16. xxJackxx

I was but I ran 4 for a while and that always fixed it for me. I think it's even more odd that it didn't fix it for you on 4. Are you sure all of your NIC drivers are up to date? And that there are no other firewalls running? It is probably a good idea at this point to follow up on Marcos' suggestion. You can probably find answers for how in the ESET knowledge base.

17. SBMongoos

Latest drivers: yes

Firewall off and tested: yes

Marcos: still waiting to hear back from him as I do not know the steps he suggested.

My questions to Marcos was:

1. where do you enable logs exactly (maybe there are already)
    2. where are the log files kept so I can find them

18. Marcos

In v5, open the main setup (F5), navigate to Network -> Personal firewall -> IDS and advanced options -> Troubleshooting and select Log all blocked connections. In V4, the location of the option in the setup is almost same.
    Tools -> Log files -> Personal firewall

19. SBMongoos

I'm not able to paste results. It's logging like crazy. I can paste but then nothing is actually saved after I hit preview or save! Plus it's using 50% of the CPU now that it's logging. Okay...CPU usage of egui.exe dropping off.

Edit:

copy/pasted to notepad. Click here.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  20. patch

patch Registered Member

SBMongoos
    Enabling "Allow UPNP (universal plug and play) for system services in the trusted zone" should decrease the volume in the log enabling you to see better what is happening.
    I would also suggest disabling "Block unsafe address after attack detection"

21. SBMongoos

Enabling UPNP makes sense. I had it enabled previous but after uninstalling/reinstalling it was disabled by default. Your second recommendation is curious to me. Why disable "Block unsafe address after attack detection". Plus, where is it. Not sure about this one.

Edit: updated log file here

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  22. patch

patch Registered Member

Because you want to know what is upsetting ESS, not how it behaves after it is upset. Sometime the initial problem is a false glitch. This setting stops the error being carried forwards.

I would also suggest clearing your firewall log (it gets slow when large and confusing). Switching off all computers then restarting one at a time is also very useful as networks save state information which can become inconsistent. Switching off all computers forces all to regenerate hopefully more valid configuration information and fixes many network problems. When 2 are on you can hopefully demonstrate a working network or more readily isolate the problem.

23. Marcos

Does the problem still persist? If so, please clear the firewall log so that only connections blocked after the recent changes are listed in the log. Also list the IP addresses of computers that cannot connect to each other.

24. SBMongoos

Marcos: do you recommend following these steps -> disable "Block unsafe address after attack detection". If so where is it at?

Yes, the problem still persists!

IP addresses of computers:

Router is .1 and anything between .100 - .120 is a device on the LAN. NAS is .103.

These are new logs from both PCs. Log was cleared earlier. Laptop here. Desktop here.

ESS seems to be behind my problems. It's odd. It seems to be messing with Windows permissions which to me makes no sense but ESS is the only common denominator. I was finally able to get a Homegroup up and running between the two PCs. Even added another folder on each PC to share in the Homegroup and I could access either PC from Network in Windows Explorer. But when I enable the firewall again then the Homegroup is no long accessible from either PC and you cannot see the other PC from within Network. Then permission issues for accessing the other PC sometimes come back. Like I said I am not touching anything else at all on either PC. Some times it says it's a permission issue and then the next time it will say "cannot access desktop...check spelling of name". o_O?

Serious wacky!!!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  25. SBMongoos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.