Issue with Sygate Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bandonisp, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bandonisp

bandonisp Registered Member

Friend had AOL connection. We put a straight dunn connection and went to the Internet. He didn't have a firewall so I put installed Sygate firewall.
    Before I did this we installed SpyBot and AdWare. But after the firewall was installed everytime the computer started up and right after the firewall loaded it would shutdown. Started the PC in in Safe mode and deleted the firewall and the problem went away. We shut done the screensaver and tryed it again. Same thing.
    Any ideas?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi bandonisp, I was a user of Sygate Pro 4 - 5 for a couple of years and this last Version 5.5 caused me many Internet shut down problems which I have reported on the Sygate forum, as have others, nothing appears to have been corrected so I am not renewing my licence. :mad: End of Flame :D
    Kerio 4 has a free version as does Zone Alarm. I use Outpost 2 on my other PC which is also VG.

Hope you resolve your problems. Pilli

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmmm well it seems strange to me; have never had a problem with 5.5 (free) - I've got it on 2 of my own PC's (one win2k and one win98se)on cable and a 3rd PC that I maintain which has win98se, AOL, and cable... no problems on any of those... It would be very interesting to know what similarities might exist between the machine where Pilli had the problem and where you encountered it... Of course if I had a compatability issue (which I would think this is) I would just check out the others which Pilli has mentioned for that particular PC.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Detox, I running XP Pro on an AMD2200+, I have used Sygate free on friends PC's with no problem, the sygate forum reports have failed to nail down as to why some ppl are experiancing trouble whist many are not as V5 worked OK.
    I am not worried about it, as I'll probably end up buying Kerio 4 or Outpost 2 :D

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, I think we can rule out lack of system recources in your case anyway :D

I guess I would probably be less impressed if I had needed to encounter their support ;)

Anyway, we can rest assured that you will be in good hands with either of those firewalls as well!

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

For what it's worth ....... not much i know......... i ran sygate for a few years and it was fine until i tried to install the latest update when it first came out and i too had constant shutdown problems. There were no issues before that new release so i moved on.............. ok.....now i'll duck :)

7. bandonisp

Thanks to all comments. I am going to try another Firewall tonight will post the result. I am hoping it just is a issue with Sygate. Have install the version on about 12 computers and have it on both of mine and No problem. Thanks again for your comments!!

8. bandonisp

He had norton anti-Virus. We put a Norton Firewall on and it worked. The computer also still has a lot of SpyWare and the Firewall detected a Trojan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.