Issue with DBU 10 Pro vs. VSS

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by GrumpyAeroGuy, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

I just realized that DBU 10 Pro has NOT been taking scheduled cyclic backups since installation last week.o_O

I receive a message indicating that "it is impossible to start the VSS for this volume".

Attempts to manually start the job from Task Manager yields the same issue.

MANUALLY starting the VSS service and THEN attempting to run the cyclic task from task manager yields the same result. (The VSS was NOT started before the task was attempted to be run). It seems the task succcessfully starts the service, then the Paragon "Operation Form" appears (with the turning gears), and about 5-6 seconds later the VSS warning appears.

Will attempt to reinstall and see if the issue resolves itself.

The only significant install since DBU was VMWare Server. Not sure if this is related in any way...

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I was not able to replicate this with my systems: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows XP 32bit.

Do you have any programs that may be conflicting with VSS?

Paragon Hot Progressing can be an alternative if you are only backing up one partition at a time or don't need all your partitions synchronized.

3. GrumpyAeroGuy

OK, uninstalled DBU 10 Pro, reinstalled.

Turns out that the cyclic backup scheduled for the Win7 Partition works. The cyclic backup for the XP64 partition does not.

I deleted the cyclic backup task for the XP64 partition and tried to recreate it, and get this:

PAragon11.jpg

Paragon21.jpg

Now, this is a HIDDEN partition that is giving headaches. Here is more info:

Task Manager showing Last Run Result:

Paragon31.jpg

Hard Disk Setup:

PAragon41.jpg

THis is what DBU sees:

PAragon51.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  4. Paragon_Tommy

Does it have any problems running a backup of a partition that's not hidden. I noticed that partition you chose is hidden and no assigned letter. Can we temporarily assign it a letter, then set up a cyclic backup.

Initiate a backup of another partition (C for example) might give you results otherwise.

5. GrumpyAeroGuy

Apparently not....

Assigned it drive letter "Z", left it hidden, and got the "it is impossible to start the VSS for this volume" error...

Un-hid the partition, still drive letter Z, and same "it is impossible to start the VSS for this volume"

This is an interesting issue...

EDIT: Rereading this, allow me to clarify.... In each case above (Letter/Active, Letter/Hidden), the task scheduled itself appropriately to the task manager. The "impossible/VSS" error appears upon trying to run the task manually from the task manager after each was created via the Paragon software.

It starts, the form with the turning gears appears after a few moments, and almost immediately the "impossible VSS" error appears.

Sorry if this wasn't clear.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  6. GrumpyAeroGuy

bumpitybump

7. Paragon_Tommy

Sorry to have no answer for you yet. Since DB 10 is still in pre-release. We hope the final product coming soon will rectify this issue. Thank you for be patient with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.