Issue with Chrome

Discussion in 'Prevx Betas' started by overangry, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry
    Offline

    overangry Registered Member

    Has anyone else has experienced this?

    What happens is after surfing the net for some hours using Chrome, my PC becomes sluggish.

    CPU around 100%, rendering of web pages and graphics is slowed down considerably, download speed is reduced in my case to 34Mb/s.

    At that moment, if I switch to FF, IE or opera the issues are no longer present, download speeds are back to
    100 Mb/s

    At first I thought it was Chrome, turning WSA off resolved all the issues in chrome instantly, enabling WSA right away and the issues were no longer present.

    This has happened on multiple occasions over the last couple of weeks.

    I uninstalled WSA for 2 days and ran the latest version of CIS, I had no issues at all.

    Reinstalled WSA 8.0.0.60 and the issue is still present.

    Win7, 64Bit, WSA Standard settings, no other security software installed.

    I have also submitted this post to the WSA support team.

    EDIT: FF also seems effected... Screen-shots taken within minutes of eachother

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. PrevxHelp
    Offline

    PrevxHelp Prevx Moderator

    Could you let me know if you've ever changed the firewall settings within WSA? The support team will probably already be looking at your logs but it would be helpful to know this as well.

    Thanks!
  3. overangry
    Offline

    overangry Registered Member

    I've used the Webroot Log-Gathering Utility. The next time this happens I will turn each component on and off to try to pinpoint the cause.
    I've done this some weeks back, around vers. 8.0.0.40 but not so sure of the outcome. I believe there was no change. But I had family issues at the time and if anything it was done half heartedly.
    I will take a closer look and report to the support team.
  4. overangry
    Offline

    overangry Registered Member

    Hi Joe, if I disable the web-threat shield, my DL speeds return to normal as does the sluggishness of my system.

    I can quickly induce the issue by going to Google maps, select satellite view then duplicate the page 10 - 15 times refresh each of the open pages.

    After this, once all pages are loaded, you should notice the slow down.

    Restarting the browser will not help, only disabling the web-threat shield or turning WSA on and off will restore correct functionality.

    Also reported to WSA support
  5. PrevxHelp
    Offline

    PrevxHelp Prevx Moderator

    Could you try disabling Settings - Web Threat Shield - Analyze search engine results, and then close/re-open your browser to see if that works better?

    Thanks!
  6. overangry
    Offline

    overangry Registered Member

    Hi Joe, yes this does resolve the issue, I am going through this issue with your support team at the moment.
    It appears they are aware of this issue.
    Not to complicate things, I'll continue posting directly with support to avoid any confusion, i.e. cross posting.

    Regards
  7. d0t
    Offline

    d0t Registered Member

    I've got the same issue :(
  8. PrevxHelp
    Offline

    PrevxHelp Prevx Moderator

    Does the same fix as what I suggested to overangry correct yours as well?
  9. d0t
    Offline

    d0t Registered Member

    It does :)

    edit: my build is .66
  10. rolarocka
    Online

    rolarocka Guest

    When i open pages in Chrome my mouse lags very much and simple fast moving with the mouse in chrome gets my cpu to 100%. Also opening other aplications and minimizing them lags my mouse movement too. Any hint on what to disable in WSA? If i shut down WSA the problem is gone. Win7 64Bit.
  11. PrevxHelp
    Offline

    PrevxHelp Prevx Moderator

    If you shut down WSA from the tray, does it correct the issue? I'd be surprised to hear WSA affecting mouse movement in other applications.

    Thanks!
  12. overangry
    Offline

    overangry Registered Member

    Hi Joe, thanks for your continued interest in this issue.:)

    I have had a remote session with Webroot to try to solve this issue.
    It appeared fixed, only to return within two hours.
    An excerpt of my mail to support on how the issue was resolved.

    It has been running smooth now for 3 weeks:thumb:


    1. I removed Chrome then re-installed it without any extensions.
    2. Removed Adobe flash player.

    I removed flash player, manually cleaning the registry and leftover files, as I would intermittently receive a warning that flash player plugin was missing in chrome, which wasn't the case.
    Also I had difficulty installing flash player.
    I was instructed (in Chrome) to install the 64bit version and not the 32bit(I have the 64bit), the installer however is designed for both operating systems.
    The fault did occur quicker if running flash required web pages.

    I ran my system for one day, without issue.
    What I did then is to re-install flash, so far my system is still running smooth.

    Regards.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.