ISR-software for directories

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by dread, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, there is a reality. They have review there marketing strategy, and apparently have made a decision.

Step outside the Wilders environment, and your close circle of computer friends. Ask them about backup. Most don't. Certainly wouldn't see the need of a rollback program.

Then consider $69 workstation version needs more support because of inexperienced users. Then there is the server version at $499 which goes to enterprise folks, who probably need very little support. I have no doubt they probably have a hard time with the profitability issue.

Anyway the reality is it doesn't matter what we think, I fear it's game over.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I totally agree that as a business entity PROFIT is crucial to not only just mere survival but to future developments that will keep a company in a firm position among competitors, of that theres no argument of course.

Also the comparisons are distinctly wide but they must have at some point in the beginning taken that into consideration. Why else would they even bother to market a workstation in the first place?

And thats where i run into a grey area of disbelief, especially after a product is proven itself reliable enough to attract such a large dedicated following of customer support to it's vendor & product.

Theres also another consideration worthy of attention in all this. If the workstation is at such odds with the company's expectations compared to server versions, it's but a small matter for them to up the retail cost at some satisfactory number for them that would help justify keeping it alive. In fact you'll note that most successful vendors accommadate BOTH sides of this customer base without loss of interest or profitability, hence my reference to re-reviewing the marketing strategy instead of just turning attention away from it.

But that's just the nature of some software makers anymore, as an example Lavasoft let Ad-AwareSE which was Xtremely POPULAR for a fairly long run become little regarded and focused attention instead more into the Corporate arena and large license sales. I dunno, maybe it really is in their best interest to stay to a strictly Corporate/Server environment for customer base and forego any attention for the Home users.

But, wow, what a tease!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think you are stating in your own words the very reasons for which FDISR has been redesigned: Look at how many words you needed to describe what's happening to FDISR, any common user (unlike members at Wilders) would be put off from even trialling it, for its apparent complexity.

These people want to sell their product, and I also feel sorry this is happening as I wouldn't get the new version.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

True, but there are always users, that prefer a solution with more possibilities and FDISR is a special case, it has no alternatives at this moment and it has no competition. Until now I couldn't find one, the two I found look like RollbackRx and RollbackRx works with point-in-time snapshots, I don't need or want those.
    If there were more FDISR's, it wouldn't be a problem, but FDISR is unique.
    Let's hope that within 5 years something else appears on the market and it doesn't need to be a second FDISR as long it is similar or better than FDISR. :)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Companies often try things. Some work, some don't

You use the word "large" to describe the following. I suspect the appropriate word is tiny. From the bottom of the forum:

Members: 70,037, Active Members (90 days): 13,993

70K is a tiny number compared to the PC market. Now go into the leapfrog forum, and just count the number of different members who have posted there, and compare that to the Active member count.

It's sad, but there probably just wasn't enough of a market.

Just be glad we have the product and can use it into the intermediate future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.