isr and partitioning with acronis-some findings

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

for those of you using isr and acronis partitioning software, here are some findings:

it seems that when you resize the partition on which isr is installed, disabling preboot isnt enough- i disabled preboot, resized my partition, restarted, and then reenabled preboot- but isr couldnt find the mbr. luckily, i had just made an acronis image before the operation, so i restored from the image, which worked fine- i then uninstalled isr, resized my partition, restarted and reinstalled isr, then preboot worked fine. obviously its not often that one would be changing the partition that isr is installed on, but for those rare occasions when one does, i have found its neccesary to first uninstall isr, work with the partition, and then reinstall isr. had i not had that acronis image, id've had to start from scratch again. hopefully this little bit of experimentation can help some others, in some way ;)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is my standard procedure, when I do something with unpredictable results, which are usually things I've never done before and resizing partitions is certainly one of them.
    That's why I bought Acronis True Image Home, to USE it when it's necessary.

I will never have that problem, because my first harddisk is nothing but system partition [C:]. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I would follow this procedure:
    Code:
    1. create disk image
    2. resize partition
    3. restore disk image

This has worked well for me, including FD-ISR enabled partitions.

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

One of the first things I had to do when I first installed FD was to increase the size of the C Drive to allow for extra snapshots. I used Partition Magic, and after reading as much as possible on this forum I decided to leave FD installed and active. The re-partitioning went very smoothly with no problems, and FD performed brilliantly afterwards.
    Maybe it would have been safer to uninstall FD first but I wanted to find out if it was possible to increase C drive with everything still active.
    Anyway, it worked for me........:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.