ISPs Still Ignoring Zombie Botnets

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Last year we discussed such "walled gardens" with a network engineer for Canadian cable provider Cogeco. The practice limits the Internet access of an infected customer -- only allowing access to ISP-hosted cleanup tutorials, patches and other resources. The practice lowers an ISP's call volume (as opposed to just cutting them off) while protecting other users on the network. Cogeco also offer free FSIS to all its subscibers, so they not only "wall" you, they also give you the tools to clean up your mess.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's time time to act. That sounds like an excellent plan.

4. 19monty64

On the cogeco website, they link to articles about other ISP's (that are setting up walled gardens ) offering FSIS 2008 for free, from Asia to SouthAmerica. Becoming a bit of a trend, and helps keep customers too!

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

IMO, a decent ISP should:
    - Check mails for spam, executables filetypes (they should be banned from mail) and viruses.
    - Filter traffic on ports 135-139, 445, 1025 and the likes.
    - Restrict (don't know how) port 25 usage.
    - Ensure that their assigned IP block isn't used to host malware/phish sites.
    - Provide a NAT+SPI unit w/instructions (i.e. change the default password, disable remote admin, etc) and a security suite for free.
    - Blacklist bad sites through DNS (like OpenDNS)

6. 19monty64

And they supply filtered-webmail, but I bought my own router rather than a monthly-fee for theirs....

7. 19monty64

And 10mBps/s dLo speed for $30/month, I wish...

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I'd be in heaven with 2M/256K and a quality connection (latency, DNS lookups, etc) for that amount of money :D

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This ISP matter smells familiarly similar to Microsoft's Windows releases.

"IF" $M hired a global contingent of the sharpest programmers for each & every of their O/S's then where would that leave all the new spinoff businesses that the holes in it's O/S has created.

In like manner, i can't help but feel that MOST isp's do just enough to filter "some" malicious incomings & spam and let the rest ride their course.

Think about it though. If ALL isp's invested & implimented the best defense programs against such problems that make us the end user always jockying for more and more security purchases, a lot of companies would be sharply reduced to just a handful and others would cease to exist.

Then security programs for the end user would be limited to a scant few to ward off downloads that contained potential viruses and the like.

Whats your take on this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.