ISP Monitoring

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Jimbob1989, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Is it true that some ISP's monitor and supply information to the authorities about people uploading large quantities of illegal material onto the internet for others to use?

Jimbob

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Yes, a few ISPs will do that.

3. Jimbob1989

I think the main purpose of it is to catch people uploading large collections of illegal indecent images, and rightly so.

Jimbob

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It should also be noted in regards to such activity that most (if not all) ISPs - at least in the US - will submit information to law enforcement agencies as requested should the request be given with a warrant or quite possibly with the lesser requirement more or less equal to "probable cause" as applied to general search procedure in the United States. Obviously this doesn't apply directly to you, JB, but I just figured it was relevant given the subject matter here. Barring flagrant abuse on the part of law enforcement (which would tend to result in invokation of the exclusionary rule causing offenders to go free) this seems to be an "ok" system to me although admittedly many will argue - and not without virtue - that individual rights may not be sufficiently protected in such circumstances.

5. Jimbob1989

I should both imagine and hope that a similar system is in place here in the UK.

Jimbob

6. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

It is, under Part 11 - Retention of Communications Data of the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001.

The consultation paper Access to Communcations Data - Respecting Privacy and Protecting the Public from Crime (1.2MB PDF file with a picture of Home Secretary David Blunkett on page 3!) provides more detail on the information that has to be retained - in terms of Internet access this does include URLs (though only the "base" URL, not any additional parameters giving details of content like search terms or the exact page requested) so I would be rather cautious over this since it does mean that everyone's Internet usage will be logged (unless they use an anonymising proxy).

7. secu4e

secu4e Guest

I find that when someone invade another's privacy whether governmnet or otherwise is unforgivable. This idea of fighting terrorism is a joke. Government is useless.

8. anti-spy

anti-spy Guest

It really should be illegal for your isp to monitor your activities on a regular basis. If the US government had good reason to monitor, and a warrant, i wouldn't be completely opposed to that.

9. Jimbob1989

The world is a sad place.... Imagine this:

Your at the local park with your son or daughter and you turn your back on your kid for one moment, during that moment there is a man nearbye taking photos of the children in the playground.

You turn around again and the man has already gone. The man goes home and switches on his computer. Loads the pictures of children including your own onto this computer and uploads them to a server or the internet.

The best chance of the man being caught is through the ISP.

Jimbob

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I suggest you research the many historical successes celebrated by peoples practicing anarchy. :rolleyes:

11. realworld

realworld Guest

To JimBob: Sounds sick to me too. But taking pictures of children at a playground is not illegal anywhere. No ISP is going to investigate the uploading of pictures that show children playing at a playground.
    To Detox: I suggest you research the historical meaning behind the Jefferson quote in your sig line. It directly relates to relying on the government to do things they have no business doing.

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have a law degree here in the USA, I'm very aware of the historical context in which that phrase was used. Tracking down criminals who victimize our citizens is the job of our government.

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Nonetheless I digress - I certainly did not intend to begin a political debate here at Wilders.

14. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Touché!

15. realworld

realworld Guest

Oh, I agree completely, but that is not the context! The question being discussed refers to tracking down criminals using methods that might possibly be illegal or unconstitutional, or should be. We don't want security by the loss of freedoms. Do we? So yes, "tracking down criminals who victimize our citizens is the job of our government" but not by any means necessary.
    You didn't. This has everything to do with privacy and security of the individual using the internet. I suppose there is a component of law involved, but that's hardly what I would call a political debate. You guys are so sensitive about computer security and its connection at times with general societal issues. Not everything that concerns computing and society's response or non-response to it is "political". There's a difference. I noted a bit of what I have always heard about Wilders forums in this thread. Oversensitivity, prudish and cliquish, with very few members offering truly competent advice. That's just my opinion and observation. Let's see if the mods can handle leaving it here or if it needs to be exiled to protect the image. Hate to have dissension! OMG!

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I also agree - not by any means necessary.

I also did not mean to say that we had "crossed the line" or engaged in heated political discussion, etc - but (especially with other interjections) such discussion could easily go in such a direction and I was simply using my free will to digress in order to help avoid anything like that.

I also must admit I assumed you were also the first anonymous poster who said "government is useless" and so, of course, that would be contradictory with your statements - I now see that may very well not have been you.

Now, as far as logging of internet activity by an ISP - that tends to be something a person accepts (whether they read the fine print or not) when they gain the service of said ISP. This information is not (at least not supposed to be) available to any law enforcement authorities without a warrant - or possibly, due to more recent developments with which I have not kept fully abreast of, with expressable "just cause" much like that needed to search a vehicle without consent. Hopefully a warrant is still required but I cannot be sure without a little looking about.

17. Jimbob1989

Last time I checked, there was a law which states that you should ask the person's permission before taking the photo. I know this because I am currently still at school and we have recently had a debate about this.

The teachers have to be carefull when taking photo's in school because if they were to place them anywhere where they could be seen by anyone then I believe they could be punished for it.

Jimbob

18. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Like Whereo_O
    The school magazine, student noticeboard.....classroom wallo_O

19. Jimbob1989

Actually, this is taken very seriously by some schools. I'm not sure if it is just taking photo's of minors but teachers have to watch there actions.

Jimbob

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

When my daughter goes to school every year (she is 5 now) they send back a form asking if it is ok for her picture to be used/included in school publications - any little newsletters, etc and local newspapers. I always say no.

21. Jimbob1989

Of course, this rule protects children from wrong do-ers but also may cause inconviniences for educating staff.

Jimbob

22. DougWD61

DougWD61 Registered Member

Don't take this personally Detox, but anyone with a legitimate law degree from a US University shouldn't be using comma splices. Misspelling, on the other hand, is a sign of genius. (lol)

23. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Many thanks for your watchful eyes, but I'll continue to type away at my posts here as fast as possible. Your opinion about my degrees and their validity is irrelevant - and off topic.

24. Jimbob1989

DougWD61, as Detox is a moderator and a respected one at that. I would advise you to comment on your concerns through the forums private messaging system instead of in the public forums.

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.