Isn't SG redundant if you have SB?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Slater, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slater

Slater Registered Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but if I have SB, and it's always up-to-date, it prevents spyware/adware from ever installing by blocking the Active X control.

So what SG does is scan cabs and exes to see if spyware/adware is inside and block it before you install it. But even if you don't have SG and download a spyware proggy and install it, SB will just block it from ever working right?

So it seems that SG is just an alternative to SB, and works in a different way. Is this correct?

The only other thing I can think of is that SG blocks PROGRAMS that have spyware IN them. Like Gator's apps - they entice you to install their programs to, say, keep your time synchronized (which it does). But Time Synchronizer also installs Gator. SB blocks Gator but will still allow you to install Time Synchronizer. SG will block the Time Synchronizer setup.exe from even downloading because it contains the Gator spyware.

So I guess theoretically they should be used together and do slightly different things, but I was just wondernig if your _ultimate_ goal was to get rid of spyware, and you could only install 1, SB would be the one to pick. I am thinking of this because obviously 2 programs are harder to maintain and update than 1. And if they both basically accomplish the same task you may as well pick the 1 best solution.

Any input/opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
    - Slater

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Slater,

Welcome at Wilders. :)

Please read: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11990;start=msg77302#msg77302 for javacool's view on this.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Slater

Slater Registered Member

I see now - thnaks for clearing that up.

- Slater

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.