Isn't it possible to restore disk/partitions from a incremental backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by haerdalis, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haerdalis

haerdalis Registered Member

Isn't it possible to restore full disk/partitions from a incremental backup (full+incrementals) except via the bartpe plugin?

I ask this because when I select a incremental backup it wants me to select where to extract the files (none of the other options).

If I select a full backup it sometimes wants me to select where to extract files, and sometimes gives me the correct options.
    The former usually happens if I've selected any incremental backup, then returned to the list and selected a full backup to restore.

If it isn't possible, the only solution would be to always make full backups (timeconsuming, but the only option that apparently works correctly).

I tried to extract files from an incremental backup on top of the restored full backup it belongs to (overwrite if older)..
    Result: lots of files named originalname.originalext~hexadecimal, so that didn't work either..

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. haerdalis

I should probably mention that the backups are in the Secure Zone (I think that was it's name)

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I fyou pick an incremental, ATI should be able to figure out which Full file it belongs with -- you won't need to tell it.

4. haerdalis

This is what I would've expected too, but inside its main program it always wants to restore files (the screen I want "select restore type" or something like that is never shown), even when selecting a full backup.
    At some random incidents it has managed to ask for restore type with full backups.

As mentioned in an earlier post even that one is a bit flakey.

The restore disk very often does the same (I just checked), even on a full backup, but the BartPE plugin works correct all the time strangely enough..

The backup process was very easy (selecting disk 1 and so on, identical settings on full and incremental backup), verification was also successful..

Shouldn't be many places something could've gone wrong then.

Here, the restore of a incremental backup works only with the BartPE plugin.

Inside the main program when running Restore this is what I do:

"Welcome to the Restore wizard": Click Next.
    "Backup Archive Selection": Select "Acronis Secure Zone", then click Next.
    "Backup Date Selection": Select "28 October 2007 17:53:52" (this is an incremental backup of a full backup taken an hour before), click Next.
    "Restore Destination Selection": Wtf?

Btw, are there any known conflicts which can cause this? I know about the Trueimage11 hotplug disabling abilities (aka crashes the "safely remove hardware" dialog) if ATI ever has been installed first hand, but are there more?

I use Kaspersky Antivirus 7, Outpost Firewall Pro 4.

5. haerdalis

I guess I've found the source of my frustration and my problems.. the Secure Zone..

Everything mentioned as problems in this topic wasn't present when doing backups to anywhere but the Secure zone.

Apparently it doesn't like to be used to store backups which is expected to restore anything but files (disk images was only supported by the BartPE plugin, otherwise it was flakey at best).

Backup to files on the other disk (same as which previously had a secure zone), via Backup Locations worked flawlessly.

I guess the secure zone needs some serious work to be used for normal image backups at least.

I should've read most of the forum before I created the zone.
    So far it seems the Secure zone is useless except when you need try & decide or the F11 option at boot.

One positive point about the creation and deletion of the zone is that when deleting it it doesn't just leave a empty space, but can give the space to any other partition. :)

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, it's a little trick for resizing partitions ;-)

Just skip the SZ and use a second disk, be sure to do a validation from the boot cd to be sure the BootCD can see and read your second drive.

sh

7. haerdalis

Quite neat when changing your mind about the zone :)

I just wish I'd known about the issues with restoring images from sz..
    It would've saved me a lot of time cursing at my computer.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

It should be possible to restore images of partitions from Acronis Secure Zone.

Could you please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken (and screen shot of every your step) before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.