Is ZoneAlarm Collecting Private Information

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by richrf, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

There are a couple of threads on DSLreports and ZoneAlarm Forum concerning the lastest release of ZoneAlarm (which I have installed) that is alleged to be collecting information and transmitting it on a regular basis to an outside agency. Apparently there is no way to stop this and it is part of the new licensing agreement.

Has anyone looked into this? Is there any substance to this? I am asking here because I can really rely on the info on this group. I do not want to pull out ZAP unless this information has been verified. Thanks.

Rich

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I've tested the latest version. You can opt out during installation. You can also remove ZA from the programs and trusted sites screens.

3. Some guys in those threads claim, based on router logs, that ZA doesn't respect its own opting out or any blocking you may try to implement through ZA.

Who knows? But it looks like they changed the registration screen.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes, this is the key issue. It looks like ZoneAlarm is not respecting its own opt out and firewall screens - and it appears that their licensing agreement permits them to do it. It is a concern when the "makers of protection" begin to use their own software as a trojan horse. Frankly, this has always been a concern of mine. Sort of like a real "trojan horse".

If anyone else has any info, I would appreciate it. ZoneAlarm appears to be mum on this issue - and I have learned that where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.