Is WSA scanning engine, Sophos

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

That is what i am told, thanks

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I believe the old Webroot products used Sophos, but this is 100% inherited from Prevx as far as I'm aware.

3. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

I will confirm, the old version used the Sophos engine for AV and the Webroot engine for AS. SecureAnywhere uses technology built from Prevx by the Prevx peeps, not a lick of Sophos.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm surprised trjam is asking this now as it's been known for ages WSA uses Prevx technology. The older Webroot products did use the Sophos engine. That was the whole point of the buyout of Prevx in my opinion: to ditch Sophos for their technology.

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

The previous posters are correct - the old Webroot products used Sophos but WSA does not use it at all: it is the completely in-house built Prevx/WSA cloud-based detection.

6. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Yup...it is 100% Prevx technology. So much it should say it somewhere in small print just to look cool and give honor to Prevx :D

The exception is I think Joe said they added Webroot's spyware definitions to the cloud basically. Other than that the antivirus aspect is all Prevx as is ID shield.

Now, the other stuff like the system cleaner, firewall, etc., I am assuming is Prevx as well as you guys designed that for P4 originally, right?

So the only other thing that is Webroot technology pre-Prevx era specifically is the Backup & Sync (optional module)?

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think the System Cleaner is a stripped down version of what was available in Webroot Window Washer so I don't think that's entirely a Prevx innovation.

Bacup & Sync is licenced from Sugarsync. The only other thing you didn't mention is Password Management; that is based on the LastPass product and uses their technology. Both these were available in earlier versions of Webroot security products.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.