Is WSA immune to the Norton troubles ?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by sturgess, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sturgess

sturgess Registered Member

The Norton Forum is still a disaster zone, many asking for help. I posted my disbelief that the help is a single volunteer, but a reply from that self same guy points out that the malware causing the trouble has all security firms not just Norton in a fix ? My question is would WSA have stopped or fixed the problem, or are you in fact fighting a similar but less visible battle than Norton ?

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have, no idea what your talking about and i would be one who usually knows. o_O

3. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

One of the neatest things about WSA is that once it has been observed in the cloud,it can revert every single change a piece of malware makes on your system(as the cloud knows this and you are connected to it) should you be infected.Rootkits,bootkits,etc are pretty tricky unfortunately as to their removal as some products will cripple your system removing them.Not so with WSA.I can count on less than one hand Zeroaccess infections i have heard about infecting WSA users,and i know in each of those few cases the system was reverted back to it's pristine preinfection state.Joe and his team have really outdone themselves.While it may not have the highest detection rate,what WSA can do with malware once it has infected your system,more importantly,is what sets it apart from just about everything else out there.The cloud is definitely a beautiful thing.WSA has definitely made me a believer in the potential of the cloud:D

4. sturgess

Hi CubonesCastle,
    First go to the Norton Forums and observe the chaos going on there. *

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  5. sturgess

Hi superssjdan, very informative and interesting reply, many thanks :)

6. m0unds

m0unds Guest

it's significantly easier to just ask "will it protect me from x y z threat" than telling people to visit another forum, guess which board you're looking at and which specific microcosm of chaos (zeroaccess, random chinese music[-http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Voices-Coming-From-Computer/td-p/762704-], patchep, trojan.gen, NIS Firewall crashes...etc, etc) you're referencing :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  7. sturgess

mOunds "it's significantly easier to just ask "will it protect me from x y z threat" than telling people to visit another forum"
    No it isn't, had it been I would have.

8. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I think it would have been.

Out of curiosity I went to the Norton Forums, of which there are quite a number of subforums. Nothing jumped out at me as "The Norton Troubles" within the first 90 seconds, in which case it's way too much effort on my part.

From this I could infer that it would be too much effort on the part of someone who might know that answer - had the question been adequately posed for them.

9. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Being fair, when someone opens a thread saying "Norton troubles" and talking about "chaos" at their forum, I am expecting a huge FP that destroys windows or something. Not just a simple Trojan/Virus or whatever it is, and being the former it would attract my attention. ;)

I did actually have a radio station playing through my speakers about 6 years back, was never a virus and can happen. If it is a virus/patcher or whatever, then it seems like baby stuff that could be fixed with Kaspersky TDSS / Malwarebytes & a bootable recovery CD.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  10. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I just looked there and see what you mean. WSA has always been quick to react in my experience. I'm more concerned with the cause of these Trojan Zero Access (memory lapse if that was the wrong description) issues. Looks like someone yelled "fire" in a theater. Interesting to follow.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  11. m0unds

m0unds Guest

really? wow, okay. i guess it must be a significantly more complex, vague, ambiguous question than i initially thought. :rolleyes:

exactly.

it's silly to start a thread and pose a ridiculously vague question about "norton troubles" without elaborating. the handful of things i used as examples point out precisely why it's silly. seeing as this part of wilders is a support forum for WRSA and Prevx, it'd also be very helpful to actually provide a question to be answered to begin with.

the chinese music thing was just too funny/awesome not to link to :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.