Is Wondershare Time Freeze still relevant?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cruise, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Still don't understand.

You say that you save your downloads in another drive. Can you check the following setting in your IDM?

Options > Save To >Temporary Directory

The above should be set to another drive too!

The above will survive any numbers of reboots and you will be able to resume, if resume is available for that download.

Best regards,

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I have tried Toolwiz TimeFreeze previously. It slows down the system too much. Things are 3 times slows at least compared to normal system. That's why I haven't compared it in my previous post. BTW, thanks for updated info :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Temporary directory is also set to another drive, but download list can't survive frozen restart as IDM save download list in registry. I have to export that registry before each restart and then import it at next restart. Sometimes, it is feasible and sometimes it cause another problem; I have to change queue too of all downloads to resume after registry import.

4. aladdin

Install IDM in the another drive.

Best regards,

5. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

You can set the memory buffer size in WTF if you have sufficient RAM available as stated in this extract from the WTF website:

"Time Freeze can suggest a memory buffer size as a default value, according to your system configuration. Select Use Physical Memory Buffer Mode, and you can customize the value from the Size list. If your physical memory does not meet the requirements, this option is not available".

http://support.wondershare.com/how-tos/what-advantages-does-physical-memory-buffer-mode-have.html

6. Flexigav

It seems WTF and the other virtual system applications mentioned are best applied to the task of testing new programs in a secure environment, as opposed to internet security. What is the drawback of using them in internet security?

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Light virtualization programs can form part of a layered security strategy, but they aren't intended to be used on their own for security due to the potential of malware to do damage in terms of data and identity theft while running in the virtual environment.

8. aladdin

This can be minimized with having two or three reboots a day. Let us take for an example, if I want to do some banking, I will reboot my computer and get rid of any potential malware which might be lurking in terms of data and identity theft.

After the reboot I am potentially safe to do my banking without worrying about any risks. After I am finished with my banking I will do another reboot. Then I can go any potential risky sites and get infected to my heart content and another reboot will take care of it.

For this reason I always turn off my computer when I am finished with it rather than putting it to sleep. A reboot for me is 30 second job with SSD, btw SSDs are $80 for 120GB. A SSD is a must rather than paying dearly every year for a ridiculous layered solution.

Best regards,

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Aladdin,

I do the same thing and I'm glad you mentioned that because what you are recommending is good practice for increased security when banking or shopping online.

However, that doesn't address the fundamental point I was making. With only a light virtualization program for protection, it's possible for malware to install itself in the virtual environment prior to reboot. Once running, unless additional security is in place, there is nothing to stop it from stealing data, passwords, etc.

I repeat what I said before, light virtualization programs should not be used as the sole means of protection if the system is holding resources that need to be protected.

Kind regards

10. aladdin

Dear Pegr,

Can you give a scenario how malware will steal data under virtualization if the data is not used or the program which access the data is not used.

Best regards,

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Aladdin,

Nice demonstration video showing how it can be done from ESET: http://blog.eset.com/2012/05/23/malware-rats-can-steal-your-data-and-your-money-your-privacy-too

Admittedly, the infection would only last until the next reboot, but I wouldn't want to run the risk of a RAT running on my system, even for a short time.

Kind regards

12. aladdin

What a wastage of my 16 minutes. I reboot. Open my password program and do my banking. The logins to my banking sites are automatic URL with 52 characters password through my password manager.

Close my password manager and reboot.

Best regards,

P.S. Good marketing video by ESET.

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Of course ESET are recommending their own solution but their analysis of the problem is valid.

We're not talking about online banking and shopping here; that's not where you are going to get infected. We are talking about normal use of the browser, opening email attachments, plugging in USB sticks, etc. Virtualization software on its own won't protect data against a malware RAT if encountered by any of these means.

And yes, you can guard against all of these things, but not by using virtualization software on its own, which is the point I'm making.

Kind regards

14. Flexigav

Q1) Does Deep Freeze clone the real OS partition into a virtual one using space on a HDD or in available RAM?

Q2) Is this the same for WTF?

Q3) What if my real Windows was set up with the Documents folder mapped to another drive. Would the virtual session try to save files to the mapped location which is not virtual, or would another virtual volume be created that holds my Document folder?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.