Is Wondershare Time Freeze still relevant?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cruise, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can get support here, I believe.
    http://support.wondershare.com/time-freeze/

Bo

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Igloo is part of all Deep Freeze.

Best regards,

3. aladdin

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Come's with Deep Freeze but has a seperate installer if you want to redirect user profiles and folders.I have the excutable in my download folder but have not installed it.

5. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

Shadow Defender is not being developed? It looks like it to me from this page
    http://www.shadowdefender.com/

I haven't tried any of the above but am thinking about it. I did a search on Google for Wondershare TimeFreeze and found this thread. I used to like apps like Rollback RX but it crashed my system, and I do use Sandboxie.

6. aladdin

If you don't have SSD then Shadow Defender is the best!

Best regards,

7. bo elam

WTF is pretty good. I have been using it on my XP SP3 for almost 2 years, never a crash or problem. I use it for testing only. For that, works great. For security, Sandboxie. If you like to run sandboxed under Time Freeze. That is also fine. No slowdown or noticeable conflict.

I am also trying TTF on my W7. Works fine also. I recommend both programs. There are things that you have to be careful when you install/uninstall this programs: make sure to uninstall them using their own uninstaller and reboot before reinstalling. Also, don't install it if you already have a similar program in the computer.

Bo

8. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What's the reasoning behind that? I don't believe I had heard that before.

9. bo elam

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

That's good to know - thanks for pointing it out.

What's really strange though is that I've had both WTF 1.0 and Returnil 2008 installed concurrently for several years now and have never had one single problem. In fact, I continue to use both of them alternately and they work perfectly.

11. DarkPhoenix

Thank you aladdin and bo elam for the replies. I'm testing Shadow Defender first, then Time Freeze.

Aladdin, you said SD is best if you don't have SSD.. I assume you mean a solid state drive? If so, why is that? What does a solid state drive have to do with shadow mode type protection technology?

12. aladdin

Dear DP,

Yes, I meant solid state drive. You are right that Shadow Defender hasn't been developed for the last two years and SSD is a newer technology with TRIM. They way virtualization programs like Shadow Defender make TRIM to work in Shadow Mode, is to make the SSD to perform in RAID mode. Since, Shadow Defender has been developed in the last two years, it doesn't play nice with TRIM and SSD.

Best regards,

13. aladdin

TWF installs itself like Shadow Defender, Deep Freeze, Rollback Rx, BestCrypt, Acronis True Image Home and similar programs in UpperFilters. It is the only one which you give warning on install and identifies similar programs.

I am not sure if Returnil 2008 installs itself in the UpperFilters.

Best regards,

14. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Same experience here with Wondershare Time Freeze. A solid lightweight virtualization application.

It works like a charm with SandboxIE.

15. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Wondershare Time Freeze 2.0.3.0 is awesome system virtualization application. It is fast and stable. I installed Windows 8 Enterprise x64, went ahead and installed WTF. To my surprise, no compatibility error/BSOD/slowdown/conflict occurred and notebook is running fine and fast even with 5200 RPM HDD.

The only problem I am facing now is cache/buffer size is small (4 GB equivalent to notebook RAM). Buffer get filled soon and I have to restart Windows everyday. Is there a noble way to increase buffer size of WTF?

16. bo elam

I don't know if it can be changed but mine is set at about 25% less than RAM.

Bo

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  17. DarkPhoenix

Thank you for clearing that up. So, if I had an SSD, I'd have to use another solution. Since this is an Time Freeze thread ( and i didn't mean to hijack it with talk of SD) how does TF work with SSD drives? I was thinking of getting an ssd for my laptop.

18. aladdin

There are two Time Freeze programs. The Wondershare Time Freeze (WTF) has not been developed like Shadow Defender for a very long time, and I suspect it might not work with SSDs too. The other one is Toolwiz Time Freeze (TFF) and it is a recent development and it is infancy. It has lots of potential and it is freeware. Here is a thread on it:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313299&highlight=toowiz

Of course, the best is Faronics Deep Freeze. It works with SSDs and like Shadow Defender excellent on MBR Rootkit protection.

Best regards,

19. aladdin

I would consider the above a blessing in disguise as it is good to have at least one reboot a day to get rid of any unforeseen surprises like malware, antiviruses and so forth.

Best regards,

20. Boyfriend

Hahaha :cool: You are right to some extent. Sometimes, I have long download list in IDM and I want to finish it before restart of my computer. This restart restriction exists in WTF and TTF, but not in Deep Freeze. Deep Freeze Standard 7.50.220.4100 doesn't get installed on Windows 8, while Deep Freeze Standard 7.30.060.3852 get installed without any error with one problem only, e.g., computer can't be shutdown, but can be restarted only. One has to forcefully shutdown the computer :thumbd:

21. aladdin

I am confused, can you further explain the above?

Best regards,

22. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Exactly the same...two years with WTF without issue :)

23. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

As mentioned previously, I'm still using WTF 1.0 with no problems at all, but I assume everyone commenting on it here is using 2.0 -- right?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  24. Boyfriend

I mean I freeze system for all my internet related activities, including but not limited to browsing, downloading, streaming, etc. I have set IDM, Google Chrome, uTorrent, etc. to save downloads in another drive. In IDM, sometimes I have larger download, i.e., Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation version officially available from Microsoft. I would love to completely download it before restart of system. WTF has limited freeze cache, while DeepFreeze don't have any such limit. With DeepFreeze, I have other problems. I try to brief the difference here:

Wondershare Time Freeze:
    Pros:
    -Windows 8 Compatible
    -System can standby, hibernate, shutdown, and restart
    -No slowdown, compatibility error, or BSOD for me
    -Folder protection for non-system drives
    Cons:
    -Limited buffer as freeze cache (I guess size is equivalent to RAM)

Deep Freeze:
    Pros:
    -Windows 8 Compatible (version other than 7.50)
    -No warning about buffer/cache as it use as much as available free space
    -No slowdown, compatibility error, or BSOD for me
    -Any partition can be protected by DF
    Cons:
    -System can't enter in standby or hibernate and system can't be shutdown, but restarts successfully (Windows 8 only problem)
    -Version 7.50 (latest build) is incompatible with Windows 8
    -No folder protection available

The above comparison is for Windows 8 RTM. Deep Freeze has plus points if you compare it on Windows 7, but WTF has plus points if you compare it on Windows 8.

25. bo elam

You can set cache size in Toolwiz TimeFreeze now, they added the option for doing that in the latest release. Give it a try, you ll be able to do what you want.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.