Is wirelesss mouse a privacy problem?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by unregd, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

From the tone of your response, it seems you forgot the word "not" in there somewhere. People will buy *anything*. Doesn't make it right or proper.

LCD displays don't work by electron guns shooting beams of energy at a CRT. Which was how you described a tempest attack working. So, assuming you were correct I have little to worry about.

IF I was concerned about it, I'd probably look into it further, but since I equate the chances of the government using a tempest-based system to spy on me to be approximately the same as my bedding 3 supermodels at the same time, with my wife's approval - and her holding the video camera, I don't see the need.

Nobody disagreed with you on that. My point was that the likelihood of such an attack is so low, and most users would never be subject to it.

I bet you have one of these, don't you. http://www.qsleeper.com/ No? Why not? Terrorists, home invaders... your home *could* be invaded, there could be a natural disaster.

Being too paranoid can certainly work against you. Socially, for example.

Again, no-one disputes you. My point was simply that "the man" is more likely to drag you into a darkened alley and beat you senseless with a rubber hose than use a tempest attack to see what you're up to.

A sentiment that, quite frankly I have a lot of sympathy for. You need to calm down dude.

2. heyUthere

heyUthere Registered Member

Nash, no hard feelings ;) It is just common for other people like me to defend ourselves from a certain kind
    of group. Well I am not looking for a debate but I do want to say some things short and simply. :)

"People will buy *anything*. Doesn't make it right or proper." : Yes but that is not the issue at hand, never
    was my friend. I was talking about the design of products as a default and then sold, regardless.

"LCD displays don't work by electron guns shooting beams of energy at a CRT. Which was how you described a tempest attack working. So, assuming you were correct I have little to worry about." : I never mention the tempest attack working on LCD. It can but not as good, I was talking about other possible attacks that are unknown for LCDs. I know how LCDs work, and I mention the tempest attack in the first place I have a clear understanding of it, maybe you can read the tempest attack completely (listen, if you want to) before you say certain things based on 1 paragraph. If you don't worry about it, cool, but I am a person that does not take things at face value, I question things, I need more, no one has pulled anything over me with that mind-set.

"Nobody disagreed with you on that. My point was that the likelihood of such an attack is so low, and most
    users would never be subject to it." about the NSA : Okay you have proven that the beginning of paranoia
    starts with a possibility (so low) and in fact is probable which is a threat enough to do something within reason.

"Being too paranoid can certainly work against you. Socially, for example." : Cute joke, I love it :) works
    against you if you let it. ;) yes you might comprise but what the different in an ex. as you giving up a
    favorite food to lose weight. For the greater good, as you see it is for yourself no one else, you feel good
    then do it. In the end it is worth it. Please let everyone do what they want.

"no-one disputes you. My point was simply that "the man" is more likely to drag you into a darkened alley and
    beat you senseless with a rubber hose than use a tempest attack to see what you're up to" : True, how useful
    is it and how long can you do it? In secret you can spy on someone that thinks "don't have to worry about
    that" and thought out that time they have so much info. ALways catch a person at his weakest.

"You need to calm down dude." : I love my life, I am satisfied with what I do. :) I am just explaining my
    philosophies and methodologies. I do not push my lifestyle on anyone, no one else should push theirs.

This is not "just" about the TEMPEST attack, it repersents a idea of other attacks unknown to the public. Do not take this personally.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  3. unregd

unregd Guest

I would just like to clarify I do not do anything illegal. I need a new mouse and was considering wireless for convenience. By privacy I mean the email I would be sending which would be personal to me but not anything illegal.
    Also someone wrote about cost of batteries and this is certainly true I remember seein one wjere batteries were said to last six months and a shop told me one will last a year
    Thanks for replies

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

unregd,
    No worries. No one thinks you do, I certainly don't. Our vanishing (invisible?) privacy is (or at least should be) a fundamental right of freedom (IMO). The more personally identifiable information any government (or corporation) in general has on its people, the less likely people are to speak out against injustice and ill deeds (wherever they occur). And with new laws constricting freedoms even further, you can see that it becomes a hot button issue.
    And it can also be fun to discuss the possibilities of all the new high tech spy gear and the security implications. It doesn't mean it would ever be used against one in a real situation (in some cases it might). But if one feels the need to, they should be free to choose as they want, high security, no security, wireless or wired.

From a practical security perspective (IMO), your emails are not going to be read by your neighbors just because you have a wireless mouse.
    Some poorly designed wireless keyboards may pose a problem if your neighbor happens to have the same keyboard and you live in close proximity. I read here somewhere about a person having two computers and two of the same keyboard. Typing on one would show up on the other. It all depends on the keyboard and how it is set up, the channels etc. But a mouse shouldn't compromise the content of your emails even if "received" by someone else.

I can tell you from my personal experience with a wireless mouse. Over a year ago, I had the MS bluetooth intellimouse explorer. I thought it was great. It had an effective range of about 35 feet. But using the computer with binoculars was no fun after about 5 minutes :).
    After that, it stayed put on the mouse pad on the desk, that is until the kids slid it off the desk or played with it (they find them irresistable). Soon I was able to combine looking for the TV remote with a mouse hunt. Whenever it did fall off, the battery cover would pop off and the batteries would fall out.
    The mouse ate batteries for breakfast. I was replacing them about every month with new alkalines. New lower power mice I'm sure have much longer run times, but they usually greatly exaggerate the battery life. They claim the best case scenario not real life use. The radio transmitter in the mouse suddenly died many months ago (not during one of the 4 or so falls). Radio transmitters (wireless mice) are more susceptible to failure than regular mice.
    The lousy security implementation of bluetooth was just icing on the cake. I am now using a very comfortable wired mouse and keyboard and very happy with them.

Hope this helps

5. unregd

unregd Guest

Thanks again guys for all replies, I will be more educated shopping for new mouse

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.