is winrar the best zipper?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

ive been using winrar for awhile, but id like to try something else maybe zip genius, is winrar better, does it compress more the zip genius will?
    also i downloaded winrar launcher the other day if you are interested
    www.winrar-tools.com/
    the server must be down the page was timed-out, you can read avout it at this link
    http://www.dirfile.com/winrar_launcher.htm

2. sard

sard Registered Member

I like 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/ in some cases it provides even better compression than a solid rar archive.

This site has a comprehensive comparison of compression formats http://www.maximumcompression.com/

Zip is an out of date format that doesn't support solid archives, so any zip file will always be bigger than a Rar Ace or 7z. Zip files are a pet hate of mine as vast amounts of bandwidth is wasted by using them :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, sard. i'll take alook at it
    i had taken a look at tugzip but it was so complicated to set up i uninstalled it

4. sard

sard Registered Member

tugzip looks interesting, nice find.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the only problem with it, is that you need to download winrar too, so you can remove winrar's exe to tugzip's folder, then i think there was something else you needed to do after that :eek:
    anyway, i downloaded 7-zip after removing winrar with a reboot. but my zipper folders look like the default winxp zippers, is that how its supposed to look like?

Attached Files:

• zip.jpg
      zip.jpg
      File size:
      1.5 KB
      Views:
  6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just redownloaded tugzip, i'll give it one more go, maybe i'll read the readme abit more closely this time :D

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I got ZipCentral free from my IP, and it works just as well as winzip but free forever. It actually looks a lot like winzip

Attached Files:

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for your help, but after installing about 10 different zippers, then rebooting i went back to winrar. because the others wouldnt associate their formats with all of winrar's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.