Is Windows FW with advanced security equivalent to the rest of 3rd parties?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rubixcube, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubixcube

rubixcube Registered Member

Assuming you have your Windows 7 firewall with advanced security setup correctly (i.e. block all inbound and outbound with specific tight rules written for specific apps as exceptions), is it essentially the same as other 3rd party FWs?

Other than the fact you dont get real time notifications, or automation or prompts in selecting what programs to allow or not, is the windows 7 FW essentially just as good in blocking connections etc? i.e. is it just as good in doing its job as a firewall - that is to restrict every connection except that what is allowed and good?

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Pretty much, except third-party firewalls may include other fancy features.

4. illumins

illumins Registered Member

Does the same apply for Win XP SP2 FW?

5. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

In my opinion,No.Even the firewall of SP3 is not equivalent with those third-parties firewalls.

If you want lightweight firewall you can choose Privatefirewall(Good for beginners and free) or Agnitum outpost firewall pro(More advance than Privatefirewall but not free).If you want more advance lightweight firewall,Comodo firewall is the best choice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.