Is win patrol a HIPS?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dregg Heda, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I would like to know if Winpatrol is a HIPS. Thanks.

2. illicit

illicit Registered Member

I would call it more of a utility then a HIPS. It does track system changes and offer some real time protection in the plus version, but if it is HIPS you are looking for, there are better options, IMO.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

its not really a HIPS, it wont really block all that much when it comes to malware, but its sort of like a watch, it will watch sensitive areas and tell you when somethings changed, but thats about it.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Technically I suppose it is a HIPs in that it protects your Hosts file.
    If you are looking for uber HIPs protection, other options may be better for you.
    (I am comfortable using it as my sole HIPs proggie)
    The additional "goodies" packaged with this soft (i.e.: Plus Info) are very cool.
    Developer gives his " Top Ten Reasons to Try WinPatrol":
    http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-ten-reasons-to-try-winpatrol-again.html

6. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Thanks for the info guys, so basically I can have winpatrol + a HIPS program and there wont be any conflicts?

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no there shouldn't be conflicts, at one time i was running EQsecure and winpatrol and had no problem.

8. zen_usuario

zen_usuario Registered Member

You can give some "redundant alert windows" from WinPatrol or your HIPS prog when new soft is installed, because both can protect the "autostart on boot registry entries". I've experimented this using it with EQSecure & RISING AV (with HIPS). WinPatrol asked me for "allow or block" some "new autostart" after a soft installation or an update, I've clicked "allow" and my "other" HIPS said nothing, ¿?...Pufffff, I don't like this fault reaction....because the drivers priorities, the double filtering, different security ring,...I don't know, but I've experimented bad feelings with this combination type.

Good luck!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.