Is Webroot Spysweeper still a great program?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mvdu, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

He cashed in, before his tragic death.
    Its now run by a consortium of Venture Capitals firms like , Technology Crossover Ventures, Accel Partners and Mayfield.

Thats why WebRoot is now WebRotting.

2. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

I do disagree with the comments about Spysweeper being heavy system bloat, OK it's not the lightest around, but I've not noticed any significant slowdown while running Spysweeper. The only thing about the software I find slow is it's time to appear at start-up, but that goes for many security applications. Spysweeper may not offer that much over free applications for clean-up and removal, but Spysweeper has some good real-time shields for a range of protection. I probably wouldn't be using Spysweeper normally, but I had a free subscription from a magazine and I've liked it enough not to uninstall immediately.

This is optional during install and not installed by default. Comodo also offer the Ask toobar, but conceal it by calling it 'safe surf'. Mcafee is also trying to push the Ask toolbar with their latest Site advisor. It's not like the ask toolbar is serious malware or something, so I think this fear is overblown.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. WilliamMary

WilliamMary Registered Member

SpySweeper is not great program, one of the resource hoggoing program I have ever met. why ? If you know how to use regmon and filemon. you can answer that. how frequent they check theirselves, and I/O read and write is too many ! Hey, look at McAfee and Norton program. nothing like that happen in recent program like ver 2009. If you click full scan, you cannot do anything other job while other program can do that. And further more ? Malware detection rate is not high. Is really threat researcher working over there ? very funny. AV100, AV-Comparactive, AV-test.org.. Oh one more thing I forget to say, when spysweeper is trying to download definition file, always program per se hangup because of overwrite activity and archiving zipping of mst file from my investigation. This is really old way to update (laugh).. In conclusion, they need architectural change to closing industrial standard level.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Interresting post, :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.