Is Virtual Reality Secure?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Prince_Serendip, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I am looking into places like ActiveWorlds. It looks interesting, like FanJ's tour of the Vincent Van Gogh Gallery! I'm looking for any info you might have. I especially want to know if their stuff is secure from a standpoint other than their's. Thanks in advance! :D

I took the plunge and picked up a freeware 3D plugin from Parallel Graphics called Cortona 4.0 and installed it. OS accepted it okay. (2nd time this week.)

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

~LOL~...Prince, this isn't like that 3-d active world where you get to pick what colour of dinosaur outfit you get to wear......is it?

3. Prince_Serendip

;) Hi snapdragin! When the fire gets too warm, I cool off surfing the Web. Lately, I've been checking out Virtual Reality sites. VRML uses ActiveX components so I was worried a little about the security aspects.

I checked ActiveWorlds. When I tried to d/l their browser plugin, my IE gave me a warning about the registry key not being fixed, so I didn't. I then checked Outerworlds and they seem like they got it together. No prob with the d/l of their browser.

I like the idea of virtual reality sites, sort of a walking and talking BB or chat room. It's also like a multiplayer RPG except the characters aren't trying to kill each other. It takes what we are doing here one to three steps further. I have a link to the Vincent Van Gogh Museum (got it from FanJ). They have a virtual tour and it's pretty good. I enjoy exploring stuff! :D

4. claire

claire Guest

Hi Prince Serendip,
    Is it possible to have this link to Van Gogh's Museum or is it
    "Cosmic secret"? :D
    I thank you in advance(even if the answer is no ;))

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

6. claire

claire Guest

Thanks a lot FanJ :D

7. Prince_Serendip

:) Thanks FanJ, for providing the link. I didn't like Outerworlds as much I hoped. I was hoping the quality would be at least on the level of a multiplayer videogame, but it's nowhere near it. It's about the graphics equivalent of the first 3D Duke Nukem game. They put it all on a screen comparable to a Gameboy. It's also very gimmicky, 13 years and up. I try to stay away from those kind of sites. In that kind of chat room, it's small talk only. If I were to give a review on it I'd give it one star out of five.

It is a big Net out there, so I'll keep looking. To boldly go where someone as gone before! :D

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

9. Prince_Serendip

:) Warmest thanks to you, FanJ for the above links, especially for the WebMuseum! I love the fact that they provide true close-ups of the work so one can see the details. We share a deep interest in works of this caliber, judging from the quality and directness of the links you provide. (This is lightyears beyond 3D and is a form of virtual visual perception.) I put these links into my Favorites Folder. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.