Is ‘Ubuntu Concept Design’ a Unity Phone?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. x942

x942 Guest

I really can't wait for Ubuntu Mobile to come out. Not because it's Ubuntu but because I believe they will do what Google promised (and failed) to do with android (Carrier independent and fully unlocked phones). Now I hope Ubuntu mobile will do these things:

1) Be available for any phone that someone ports it to (I.E. My Galaxy Nexus) - It's open source so this will happen sooner or later

2) Be open as in hardware - No bootloader locks (Android phones have these some manufactures make them easy to unlock (Samsung), others supply the tools to do it (HTC), and some make it very hard (Sony). SIM unlocked would be an asset too. But most phones can be sim unlocked easily enough.

3) Stimulate other distros (RHEL, Fedora, Linux Mint, Etc.) to follow suite. This is what I am most excited for. Imagine a a phone running RHEL (Companies would love having that security level RHEL provided) or Linux Mint for the average user!.

3) Root by default. Android may be open but you still need to root to do some usefull things. Ubuntu Mobile will *hopefully* let you do this by default

That's my $1.50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.