Is TIH 10 build 4871 really Vista-proof?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by schatzoy, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schatzoy

schatzoy Registered Member

Acronis Germany claims that the latest version of True Image Home 10 build 4871 is Vista-proof. Well, I am not so sure about that.
    I have done a backup of C and D in the Securezone and then restored. Everything ran smoothly until Vista wanted to boot after recovery. The boot-up failed and some error message showed saying a driver \windows\system32\winload.exe could not be found. Luckily, I was able to fix this problem with the Vista installation CD and the repair program. Or else I would have had to re-install the whole system again.
    Another problem I encountered with TIH 10 is when creating a boot disk. When doing the final click to write the CD an error message pops-up telling the device is busy. After hitting the retry button the process continues fine and the CD is burned.
    Anyone else out there having similar or other problems?

2. atitlan

atitlan Registered Member

Shatzoy: The most recent update to TIH 10 has just released. The new version is 4940, dated February 15, 2007.

Give it a try, and here's hoping it doesn't screw up restoration under Vista!

Please post your results.

3. toddeswe

toddeswe Registered Member

Hi!

I seccond that!
    When trying to restore i got the same problem AND Nod32 the virus software just went crazy. SO, i had to reinstall the whole Windows to fix the problem Acronis caused me. 2 days and alot of hours later i'm back. I sure want to know if this latest patch fixes the problem. Anyone dare to try it? :)

Todde

4. schatzoy

Thanks atitlan. I am using the German version of TIH 10 and the latest release is still 4871 from Oct 24, 2006. Only yesterday I received an e-mail from Acronis Germany touting that build 4871 is Vista-proof. I hope we will have a new version pretty soon, too.

5. Colvin

Colvin Registered Member

I cannot create the Boot Disk at all using the Wizard due to a similar error. However, I know what the problem is.... Nero InCD. Not having found a way to correct this problem what I do now is to choose the option to create an ISO file and then burn that to my media. So, if you have a packet writer installed this might be the cause of your problem too.

6. toddeswe

he he he...

That's my seccond problem, creating a bootdisk is impossible for me if i don't use my DVD-RW to save it on. Maby i'll try the image thingy and see if that's working on this new release. It did not when using 9.x.

Thanks for leting me know that i'm not alone here. :)

Please post your progress or tests here so i can follow up what's going on and how to fix this.

Todde

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The key I have found to create an Acronis bootable CD is to open the CD drawer put in a writeable CD and leave the drawer OPEN. Then use the " create bootable rescue media" Wizard and select the CD drive. When you hit the proceed button the drawer will close and the rescue CD will be created.
    The point of leaving the drawer open is to ensure that no other CD writing program gets the chance to grab the drive before the Acronis wizard does its stuff. Try it and see.

Xpilot

8. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

9. toddeswe

I use Nod32 and have not started the Internet security.
    And a will try this trick with the open cd tray tomorrow when i'm more awake.

Thanks for the tip!

Todde

10. schatzoy

Thanks to Fedrorov999 and Colbin; yes I have Nero installed but NeroInCD is deactivated. And I also have Kaspersky installed and, which makes things not any better, my PC is a Core 2 Duo with 965 chipset. In another thread in this forum there are lengthy discussions on TIH 10 not being able to properly work with that chipset.
    Well, I just keep on waiting until Acronis releases some properly working software for Vista (incl Disk Director) or I will look for another product.

11. toddeswe

Me again!

I can't use your way of creating a boot cd, it fails like always.
    Does the people from Acronis read this forum? Don't they beta test the software before releasing it...? :)

Todde

12. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

gl finding anything better ;)

if you want to fully deactivate InCd, you also need to stop and disable the InCdHelper service running in the background
    you also might want to disable the windows built-in burning features (that's for xp-users)

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Vista is so new, nothing is going to be Vista-proof for at least a year, when SP1 comes out. There's no reason to think that MS suddenly found some secret way to write software that works right out the door.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that the new build (4940) of the german version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home is available. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. fbonelle

fbonelle Registered Member

Hello,

I have nearly the same problem with the French version. I have the build 4871 too. I tried to make a ghost of my windows vista 64 boot partition. Then, I tried to restore. No problem until I told windows to check the disk...

So, I reinstalled Vista and told a new time windows to check the disk. Then, no problem...

When a new french build will be available ? Does the build 4940 (available in English en German) solve this kind of problem ?

Thks

16. tophawk

tophawk Registered Member

Hello Acronis Support
    Yes we have TI ver 4940 at our client site
    Are you aware that you can only restore from a boot disc and that start up is still around five minutes? (Similar to using a PE?)
    Backup is NO problem (obviously drivers loaded)

Any ideas

Peter

ASUS P5B deluxe
    Intel CPU Core Duo 6400
    Nvidia 7900GS SLI
    4 times 500 GB SATA
    2 GIG RAM

17. Acronis Support

Hello tophawk,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Sorry, but the last sentence confuses me a bit.

Please be aware that "restore only" ability is related to the Bootable CD created with the trial version of Acronis True Image. Please make sure that you use the full version of the program. You can find in version in the Help -> About dialog.

If you use the full version of Acronis True Image and can not use the backup option when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD, please describe the issue in more details:

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  18. Acronis Support

19. tophawk

tophawk Registered Member

Sorry Aleksandr
    !! I must admit my query confuses me now I read it back !!
    We use your program at our client site to:
    RECOVER an image which is the boot partition - the C: drive)
    The full version 4940 will not RECOVER from within the full program (under VISTA)
    It goes past reboot OK then locks up and reboots to VISTA

Everything is OK if I RECOVER using the ACRONIS boot CD created by build 4940; however, the boot CD takes a VERY long time (about five miniutes) to boot through to the Acronis screen
    From this point everything is great !! and recoversthe partition in minutes :)

My real query is that I cannot recover from within the full program under VISTA itself or get the Acronis Boot CD to recover as quickly as it does on older systems
    This problem has only come up on this new machine we have installed for our client

Any advice appreciated Aleksandr
    Cheers
    Peter

ASUS P5B deluxe MOBO
    Intel Core Duo 6400
    Nvidia 7900GS SLI
    4 times 500 GB SATA
    2 GIG RAM

20. Acronis Support

Hello tophawk,

Please note that probably some third party software prevents Acronis True Image from access MBR (Master Boot Record) of the disk and, therefore, the standalone mode of Acronis True Image can not be loaded. You could try to disable Antivirus software, Norton GoBack temporary, if any.

In order to investigate the issue with Acronis True Image Bootable CD please do the following:

First of all, please create a new Bootable CD using the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

If you have experience the same issue with the Bootable CD created with build 4942 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, please Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.