Is this security overload

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by damian666, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi
    Have i got to much security and is it going to slow my pc here is what im using
    comodo firewall, aol active virus shield,system saftey monitor,BOClean,process guard,ghost security reg defend,diamondcs wormguard
    THANKS Dame666

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Yes
    I'm sure others will disagree but having spent years trying out one program after another I have eventually become a computer naturalist - Firewall router and Firefox.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You are either

1) reckless and stupid

2) careful and security-aware

I suspect it's 2) :)

By the way, what is a "computer naturalist?"

regards,

-rich

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is your PC running slower than before you installed those products?

Too much security? Probably. But security needed depends on many factors.

Why not give a brief run-down of how you use your computer, your surfing habits, etc.

P2P?

Chat rooms?

On-line banking, etc?

Home network?

Wifi?

Multiple users?

Webmail or POP3?

Browser?

Backup system?

Have you thought through the various ways that your computer can be compromised! The various ways that malware can get on to your computer?

Once this is all laid out on the board, so to speak, then you can select those products that fit your needs.

regards,

-rich

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If they are all active.., yes. Assess feature set overlap, and prune as appropriate.

Blue

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say theres a fair amount of overlap. you may want to drop some of teh HIPS.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Personally, if you do use RegDefend, get Appdefend and lose SSM and PG. Both are from the same developer (Regdefend and Appdefend), and they must run well together. Same would go regarding the firewall too, imo. Even if i consider Comodo my favorite firewall. You never know that using the others, and using them all is not only overlap, but possible conflict.

In general, i'd follow Rmus's advice: consider what you need for security, and how a program can help. Then choose.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Computer naturalist I believe is the computer version of being a member of a nudist camp. That is to say Long View is standing in the middle of the information superhighway with almost no clothes on. ;)

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

As a FDISR-user, I know that ProcessGuard was a pain for FDISR, so ProcessGuard was replaced by FDISR-users with System Safety Monitor.
    Based on that I assume you can ditch one of them in your security setup. :)

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I think you have quite a bit of redundancy there.
    If you're using SSM, you can cut on BOClean, PG, WG, RD. Or use BOClean and cut on the others. Leave firewall. Hell, I'd even drop the AOL, simply for being AOL.

Long View, long live F2 (Firewall + Firefox).

Mrk

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Almost - To me a computer naturalist is a computer naturist (nudist) who feels the need to wear a hardware Firewall and Firefox - F2 as Mrkvonic would say.

I keep trying to think of the word that would allow me to change F2 to FY2
    to explain how I feel about those wearing 5 pairs of pants ( just in case they get caught short), 3 shirts, and a bearskin in Arizona in July

:rolleyes:

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Listen, you guys are going to scare off Damian and she/he won't return :)

Meanwhile, I challenge you to run as F1 (=Firefox) w/o a firewall. As Mrk knows, I did it successfully in a test. Just make sure all of your ports are closed. When that is accomplished, why do you need a firewall?

Back to Damian: I hope he will think through what some have suggested because he will see that he can eliminate some of what he has on board.

regards,

-rich

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  13. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi All
    Problem is there is too many great freeware products to choose from here what ive gone with comodo firewall,aol active virus shield,BOClean and prevx 1 not much memory useage with this lot and computer is still nippy
    THANKS AGAIN
    Dame666
    P.S wife sez im a typical man so guess that makes me a he hahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.