Is This Right??

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by kennyboy, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

This is definately a new way of looking at things for me. The OEM concept seems good and I assume that keeping it in an archive as opposed to a bootable snapshot is insurance against accidentally using it.
    More food for thought. Thanks.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I understand your setup very well. I even considered myself to separate Windows from programs, just like I did for my personal data and some other members did the same thing like you did.
    What I didn't understand is that your firewall (= application) wasn't installed on [D:].
    Your firewall must have been installed on [C:], so you don't install all your applications on [D:] and that confused me.
    In other words : What do you consider as "applications" ?

I decided not to separate my programs from Windows, because Windows is not only an OS, but also contains alot of integrated MS Applications, which are not always mentioned under the folder "C:\Programs". A simple example of this is the application "Notepad", you won't find it under "C:\Programs".
    I consider Windows as a whole INTEGRATED collection of OS and Applications and any separation is quite risky.
    Besides that I don't install applications every day, I only TRY and ditch other applications. I'm not a collector of softwares, I only install softwares permanently, if I really NEED them.
    So the volume of my system partition is quite the same, since it doesn't contain any personal data.
    Separating personal data can NOT cause any problems, I'm very sure about that and I'm doing this already since February 2006. My data partition doesn't contain any Windows system files.
    But I wouldn't be so sure when I would separate programs from Windows. That is asking for POSSIBLE problems.

My [C:] looks exactly the same as Peter's [C:], the only difference is that my [C:] doesn't contain any personal data.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  3. kennyboy

Yes Eric. It is my fault for not being clear on this point. The only 2 Applications that I install on C Drive are the firewall, and the anti-virus. My thinking is that these 2 apps above all, need to be integrated closely in the OS.

As nobody has asked the obvious question of Acadia, could you please tell me how you are able to get 14/15 snapshots? 10 plus 4/5 archives I understand, or maybe I am missing something again.

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, that is correct. Ten bootable Snapshots on my c:drive and several unbootable Archive Snapshots on my other hard drive. You probably already this, but the later versions of FirstDefense will allow you to create as many Archive Snapshots as you want, the only limitation being the size of your harddrive. :)

Acadia

5. ErikAlbert

No sweat. Now I understand you completely LOL. Your very first post didn't mention all that. :)

6. kennyboy

o_O
    Actually, I didnt know that, but have to say I have enough trouble with just 3 snapshots and a couple of archives...

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

We would die here if there was no confusion. :cool:
    Reading your follow-up it looks like you have done some constructive thinking. :thumb:
    I have no doubt that you find a setup that will work for you.
    Which information leads to this conclusion o_O
    I assumed that the files of the firewall reside on D:, like any other application.

By the way:
    A separate partition for applications makes more sense if the applications keep their settings in their own application folders. That was more usual in Windows 3.11.
    But nowadays the entire application environment is maintained in the registry, which resides in the system partition.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  8. ErikAlbert

That was easy enough. FDISR is installed on [C:], so the original and test firewall were also installed on [C:] instead of [D:].

9. wilbertnl

I must be brain damaged then...

10. ErikAlbert

Well, Kennyboy made a few mistakes in his posts.
    That is not entirely true. It must be like this :
    C Drive = Windows XP Pro + FDISR + Firewall + AntiVirus
    D Drive = the rest of the applications
    E Drive = Data
    That is normally impossible : FDISR installed on [D:] and monitoring [C:].
    If he was able to do this, I would like to know how he did this.

That must be : FDISR installed on [C:] and monitoring [C:]

11. wilbertnl

Kennyboy probably installed Windows with a customized winnt.sif containing the following line:
    Code:
    ProgramFilesDir="D:\Program Files"
    The effect is that \Program Files completely resides on D: FD-ISR will function as designed, no matter that it's files aren't in C:.

Still, I don't see any statement in this thread that backs up your conclusion, ErikAlbert.
    I'm patiently waiting for quoted text. :D

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Now I understand, and FDISR won't work that way, no wonder it's a mess. And yes I understand Rollback will handle it, but it's a disaster waiting to happen.

You can't possibly separate applications from the system. When ever you install an application, where do you thing DLL's are place, and where do you thing drivers are placed. Yep in the system area. No wonder FDISR didn't work right.

Given that Rollback keeps both disks straight, I for the life of me don't see the advantage. Usually what messes up the operating system is some change in an application.

Pete

13. wilbertnl

Let me rephrase this: FD-ISR functions well, but this setup leads to unexpected side effects.
    You will be surprised how well this setup is supported by Rollback RX.
    Well, some computer users make decisions that don't make sense to others. My wife turns purple when she sees my setup, because she has all her important data on her desktop, right in sight. :eek:

14. ErikAlbert

I ASSUMED that he installed FDISR on [C:], like most people do, just like you assume that he used customized winnt.sif

He also clearly said, that he installed his firewall and antivirus on [C:].
    Why would he make exceptions in his own setup ? To put it closer to Windows, isn't really a technical explanation.

15. ErikAlbert

I fully agree with you. He created a MESS and assumed it would work properly.

16. wilbertnl

Which was stated after your conclusion. :D
    Let us just say that Kennyboy's concept is not supported by FD-ISR. :-*

17. Peter2150

Yes, but also it is indeed setting yourself up for all kinds of side effects. (read disasters).

Software can have enough issues. A smart setup, will help it do it's work, rather than set it up for failure.

I understand Kennyboy's setup might work, but WHY??

18. ErikAlbert

OMG. Is it that important to you : what and when I said something ?
    I will quickly end this VERY IMPORTANT issue : you are right and I was wrong. Is that what you wanted to hear ?
    Let us say that Windows isn't ready for such separation. I wouldn't even do it with or without FDISR/RB.

19. wilbertnl

It's not about right or wrong.
    It doesn't serve the original poster well when responses contain strong judgemental statements based on misinformation.

20. ErikAlbert

OMG. It's getting even worse. I hope he will survive my misinformation and doesn't regret his money on FDISR.

I didn't encourage him to separate programs from Windows. That is misinformation too. Who are you going to blame for that ?

The day I start using RollbackRx, I will blame Peter for recommending me FirstDefense-ISR. Don't you see how ridiculous that would be.
    Every member is responsible for his own decisions at Wilders.

I installed softwares recommended by members of wilders that screw up my system. I never blamed them, because "I" took that decision.
    Your ego is getting bigger every day, but please not at my expense. :)

21. kennyboy

Ok Guys. Very sorry for causing problems. I really appreciate everyones comments and advice, and if that advice comes over as slightly harsh sometimes, I am sure it is meant sincerely and constructively.
    Let me maybe have the last say on this so we can move on.

Very polite way of putting it ...thankyou.......:)

Sorry Cant seem to include multiple quotes on this message. Anyway,

From Erik..Why would he make exceptions in his own setup ? To put it closer to Windows, isn't really a technical explanation.

May not be technical but the best I could do when looking at the situation logically. My limited computer knowledge told me that the "vital" Applications needed to be on the system partition. May not have been correct, but I am not technical. Just doing my best. No "Gurus" here. I rely on forums like this.

From Peter2150...I understand Kennyboy's setup might work, but WHY??

In hindsight.........not sure myself now. o_O

I am sure when I have re-thought my system, I will have a more "conventional" setup, and equally sure I will be back for some more help in the future.

Thanks to everyone for your time.

Ken

22. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I have been using separate partitions for my WIndowsXP Home program(C), for my other applications(D) and for my data(E). From following the foregoing posts and other threads, I can see that it would be better to have OS (C) and Other apps(D) in the same partition.

Question is how I can accomplish this without creating chaos and/or reinstalling all my Apps in the C partition. Can I do this using Norton Partition Magic 8 or Paragon Partion Manager?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rob

23. wilbertnl

I'm afraid that you have to hear bad news here, RobZee...
    Since most applications maintain their settings in the registry and there is a good chance that also paths are stored in the registry, it's not a simple matter of moving files to a different location.
    Kennyboy, you didn't have problems with your concept until you gave FD-ISR a try. Right?

24. kennyboy

Actually wilbertnl I always found it a good setup to use because C was always so easy to restore when I needed to. I hate System Restore as I always found it unreliable. Use ATI for years with mostly good results. I want to use the benefits of FDR and will tailor my system to suit it when I can.

25. Peter2150

Having just had a play with Vista, I have a feeling in the future this whole thread may be just so much about so little. Just be glad we can even have this discussion.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.