Is this program worth $25?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, May 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried Security Task Manager & really like it. I have found a 15% discount, so I can buy it for ~$25.

However, I can't decide whether to buy it, & would like comments on this matter from those of you who have actually used it yourselves.

Why I'm undecided: STM gave me extremely useful information initially, but I can't see how it would be all that useful over the long run. Will it actually be worth the $$$? Since it's an on-demand program, it won't actually warn me of anything in real-time, will it? What will it do for me that my standard array of security tools won't do?

P.S. I actually WANT to be convinced to buy this. It's a really *neat* program -- but I have a wife looking over my shoulder :eek: so I need some compelling pros for spending 25 bucks (and cons, also -- must stay objective, right?)

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I looked into it Belgamin, I think it was a year ago and at the end it's nothing new .. it will be practically impossible for them to gather all info and lots of explanations on their site are links to google if they don't have the explanation. At least it was then...as for now I have a friend called Google and got some hash tools and it's all free.
    Personaly I prefer Process Explorer (their new update has some indicator built in for packed files...it has a built in link to google .. I like it a lot.
    Just my two cents

Andy

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Cons....your wife is looking over your shoulder :cool: :p ;)

Also....a recent thread with comments from other members....Security task manager

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you're just interested in the info, and can do without the security rating and such, there's a free program that lists your currently running tasks and displays info from answersthatwork.com, wintasks.com, the microsoft knowledgebase, and more. I can provide the link when I get home from work.

PS, just stopped a fraudulent cc transaction and alerted the cc hldr before the fraudster could get anything else through, woohoo! :D

5. frenchfried

frenchfried Guest

I feel that it is a useful program but I use it mainly to double check detections with other spyware programs. I do feel it is worth keeping the program for another opinion, especially if you don't have any other dedicated antikeylogger like program at your disposal. Is it worth the $25. bucks? That's totally up to you and if you feel you can afford it or not and still keep the wife happy. GOOD LUCK brother. ;)

6. bellgamin

PLEASE do post the link -- it sounds like just what I need.

And... congratulations on catching the credit card fraud!!!

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Process Info - http://www.gomiller.com/downloads.html
    It may not do everything you're looking for, but it may at least hold you over until you can make a decision. My opinion on the matter is that if you're not confident with your ability to pinpoint malware with the more complex system tools, Security Task Manager may be worth the price. But heck, $25 isn't that much money.. I bet there's a few small things you could go without for a pay period to make up for it :)

8. bellgamin

Right! Like... I could forego my dog's heart transplant operation. :D

Hey... THANX for the link. Shall give it a try.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Lol, um, I have to question the quality of your vet care if they're doing heart transplants that cheaply.. I think perhaps you SHOULD save every penny you can get if that's the case. :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.