Is this problem caused by HIPS like SSM?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tepe2, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=177902

I believe SSM and other HIPS are great applications, and offer great protection. But that is if you know how to use it.

I dont have the knowledge required to use SSM. But I did trial it. Perhaps I should not have.

I am not saying SSM caused my problems, but see SSM and my lack of knowledge to use it as one possibility among others.

Has anyone had serious/similar problems after using SSM?

Has anyone had similar problems after using Cyberhawk or Ccleaner? Or DSA?

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Greeting tepe.

I dunno if i can be of any help for you since it looks to involve a problem arising from your image?

I can say with 100% confidence System Safety Monitor is not your problem, now Cyberhawks latest versions i can't be so sure. It was a top notch app then on a later update it began to exhibit problems for most users but mostly false positives and not so much stability although i frowned on it having to run "4" drivers to accomplish it's means.

Are you using the latest free version or full?

Let me say this. YOU ARE KNOWLEDGABLE with SSM so long as you take it slowly at first and look everything over in it. It is not THAT difficult. It freaked me out the first time i installed it because i thought there was no way for me to grasp ALL those settings and features, but after a week of persistence things became much clearer, plus you have extremely knowledgable folks here who can quickly guide you in the right direction as well as answer your concerns about it.

To give you an example, i finally had gotten a handle on how & what ALL those settings did, and by then SSM release another version with a completely different registry layout plus added network support.

I stopped right there and then at version 206.568 and haven't update or will again because it's rock solid just like it is for me. Plus i didn't have the time to learn it all over again when they changed the GUI and added more settings.

I know this doesn't help your issue but i just want to let you know SSM IS NOT out of your learning ability at all.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

It was latest version of Cyberhawk. I downloaded trial. It was supposed to turn to free after 14 days. I cant remember if the problem occured before these 14 days or not.

You say SSM did not cause this problem. I hope you are rigth. Maybe Cyberhawk or Ccleaner. Or something totally different. Who knows?

Strange thing is suddenly all images dont work. Clean install of Windows XP dont work. Thats why I think the problem is not in my images, but outside my images. I thaught of SSM because I know it go deep into system and because I have read a post by one of its users (cant remember who) who had to reinstall because of SSM. But nothing like my problem.

4. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I had a problem with a version of SSM (2.3) that I got for free from one of those free-for the-day promos. After installation, the thing will go to battle with my OnAccess Scan (Mcafee VSE8.5) right after it boots into windows. The event log shows that SSM was preventing the Onaccess shield from starting, so it would start, then fight, then stop and repeats this cycle. During the battle, my 3.5Ghz Conroe machine was non-responsive. So yea, it is possible that SSM would cause serious problems on the system. But no, after you restore to an earlier image, it shouldn't still be the problem. Check your event log and see what kind of errors you're having. Also, don't rule out the possibility of malware.

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Good suggestion.

Im still working with my problem. (See other thread)

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I have been watching with sympathy: how goes?, I'll keep folowing :(

Fwiw: I have PrevX and Cyberhawk running with out problems and have used BING for restore on several occasions. I know not SSM: but HIPS

Have you posted at Terabyte support? Response?
    I'll put this in the other thread.

Good luck.

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks to all of you :)

Problem now solved :)

Not SSM. Not Cyberhawk. Not Ccleaner. Not DSA. NOT BING. So I apologise to developers and users of these great products.

But what was the problem? Make a guess :) Read the other thread :) (post 74, 75)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.