Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by John Bendel, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bendel

John Bendel Registered Member

I need to free up space on my 1st physical drive which is partitioned into thirds: C, D, and E. I have a new HD, a SATA II drive, which has more than enough room to take all three partitions.

What I would like to do is move partitions D and E to the new drive and expand C to fill the drive.

Can I do this? Or will I not be allowed to expand the C partition?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can do this.

Make images of the C, D and E partitions. Restore the D and E images to the new drive and size them as you want.

Now the old drive has two unnecessary partitions. Delete them in the Control Panel, Computer Management, Disk Management.

Now you need to expand C to fill the rest of the space. You can use a disk partitioning program, but TI can do it for you.

Create a Secure Zone in the empty space. Then delete the SecureZone and specify that the space should be added to C.

3. John Bendel

John Bendel Registered Member

Sorry to bother you again, but I have some questions about your instructions.

1. Is clone and Image the same thing? I don't see Image anywhere in the wizard. Where should I look for "image"?

2. If they are the same, the program keeps wanting me to clone C to the new drive. If I don't chose it, then it asks me what to do with the excess space. There is no reference to "safeguard".

Thanks again.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John Bendel,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Cloning and imaging are not the same. To create an image of a drive/partition you should use the Backup wizard. The Clone feature is designed for easy moving all data from one drive to another while keeping its structure. For more details about differences between imaging and cloning check this article.

Please notice that managing partitions is not the purpose of Acronis True Image family solutions. The procedure jmk94903 will indeed let you reach that particular result. However, there is another Acronis solution - Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 - that allows you to easily manage the partition structure of your hard disks (and even recover deleted partitions), as well as install and manage multiple OSes on one PC.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Notice that we have a separate forum branch for Acronis Disk Director Suite. If you have more questions about Acronis Disk Director Suite, you can ask them there to receive more detailed help.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.