Is this normal?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by dijonace, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dijonace

dijonace Registered Member

Hello,

New to forums...I did a search for a similar topic and unfortunately couldn't find anything on this.

Here's my question:

Whenever I turn on my computer the NOD32 2.7 Control Center comes up and runs just fine. But it seems like the AMON function does another scan each and every time that it has a new version of a virus signature database (the one I have right now is 224:cool:.

Is that what it's supposed to do? It doesn't look like it's a memory hog but my previous experience has been with Norton and I was able to set that to do a virus scan just once a week.

Thanks in advance!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What you are telling is really weird. Does it mean that Norton would leave your computer exposed to viruses for one week before files are scanned next time?

3. dijonace

Yeah my old Norton (now removed) had a scheduler which I put on Friday nights.

Is AMON supposed to be scanning after each virus update?

Thanks.

4. dijonace

bump please

5. Marcos

If you have the option "Optimize scanning" enabled in the AMON setup, AMON will re-scan even already scanned files after an update in order to keep your computer safe.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think dijonace have problems understanding how exactly an AV software is supposed to work .

Antivirus software (such as NOD32) scans every program/files that tries to load in memory (before being accessed).This way , an AV can prevent a malware to load and let's say do a mess.

What you are talking about (for your ex AV - Norton) is a planned scan for an on-demand scanner .
    On-demand scanner is used when you wish , when you clean very infected computer , when you suspect infection , also to find inactive malware (malicious code which hasn't tried to load in memory) . NOD32 also have a Scheduled task in Control Center->NOD32 System Tools->Scheduler/Planner

To understand better how an AV is supposed to do , test with Eicar test file
    http://www.eset.com/eicar.com
    http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

It is harmless .

7. dijonace

Thank you all...your replies have been very helpful. Last question...is it the general consensus to keep it on "Optimize scanning"? As I mentioned earlier it doesn't look like it's taking up a lot of memory to do this but I'm wondering if people experience lag if they have this enabled.

FYI - I'm on a 2.5gig RAM system with XP.

Thanks.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I my self strongly advise you to keep it enabled

Attached Files:

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'd say the consensus is to keep it on. Besides you have more than enough ram.

10. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I asked this question before and did not get an answer, so I will try in this thread. I would like to stop Nod from scanning files after each and every reboot. Is there a setting to stop this from happening?

11. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Under "NOD32 System Tools-Scheduler/Planner" there is some tasks enabled by default and a couple of them is to scan system startup files when you logon. Remove the check for the tasks you don't want to run. If you right click the task and choose details you can see what the task does.

12. Marcos

You can disable automatic AMON startup, but that would have the same effect as uninstalling NOD32.

13. BuzzStone

Thank you for the reply, GAN, but that did not work. And I do not want to disable AMON, thanks Marcos.

14. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Are you talking about a scheduled scan or the realtime (AMON) scan?
    After a reboot is there a scheduled scan that is running and you are unable to prevent that one from running? If you are not talking about a scheduled scan i don't understand what you try to achieve.
    You also have the option under AMON to scan files that is created only and uncheck open and execute even if i would not recommend that.

15. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

16. BuzzStone

Each and every time after a reboot, and that could be one reboot right after another, AMON will scan a few thousand files, every time. This to my knowledge is not a scheduled scan, as I do not do them. I just find it annoying that it has to scan the same files it just scanned. Right now when I look at Amon it has scanned 11,779 files, if I reboot right now, Amon will reset to zero files and start scanning again. I hope this is clearer. I like Nod and will continue to use it. I would just like to disable the start-up scan. This may be part of the protection that Nod gives, but I don't want to listen to my hard drive going.

17. Bitten By C Bug

Bitten By C Bug Registered Member

Amon SCan "ALL" files loading up it ISN'T performing a virus scan as you are mistaking it for. If I am correct this is just scanning OS loading and processes.. At 11k files being scanned am assuming you are using Vista? I wouldn't recommend disabling AMON at all but YES everytime you boot up or reboot those same files will again be scanned via AMON to ensure all is safe..

Peace Bitten by cancer and still Kicking!!

18. BuzzStone

Thanks for the reply. All the best. Fight hard.

19. GAN

GAN Registered Member

As Bitten says the amon is the realtime scanning that scan files in the background while they are read, executed or created. During a reboot several files are read, executed and some written so this is normal. 11k files just after a reboot sounds pretty high, but the number of scanned files for amon will increase all the time while using your computer and during reboot. The only way to prevent this would be to change the setting for amon and remove the check for Open and Execute. That way the number should be much lower since only created files will be scanned. You could also use exclusions or disable amon completely, but i wouldn't recommend any of these options. This is normal behavier for any antivirus software. If you disable amon you have to manually scan you disks and to exclude the system files is not a good idea i think.

If you have Optimize scanning enabled at least the same file should not be scanned twice during one reboot unless it's changed or virusdefs is updated.

I don't use Vista so not sure how Vista behave during reboot, but according to Bitten it sound to me like Vista read and execute a lot of files during a reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.