Is this normal to have?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Coolbrain, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coolbrain

Coolbrain Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to ask the experts if it is normal to have over 15 firefox.exe established connections with port explorer?Some of them were highlighted in red.

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

It is okey to have many connections from firefox. They are propably connections from a page you´re currently viewing.
    As for being highlited in red, if you watch them for a while the higlighted ones will dissapear. Thats means that the connection is closing because they dont need to be open anymore.

If you dont touch firefox for a while, then the only connections will be the ones to localhost (127.0.0.1) well atleast thats how it works in my machine and according to my AV and HIPS (App/Regdefend & Tiny Personal Firewall pro) I do not have any malware.

3. Coolbrain

Thanks for the response.

Is it still normal when firefox is not open?I havent clicked the firefox icon to access the net,and I have over 15 established connections.The red highlighted connections (2) will dissappear,and about 14 will remain established when dont have firefox open,or have clicked the firefox icon.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

No, the connections from firefox should dissapear after a while when firefox is terminated. Have you checked in taskmanager that firefox is really gone? I have noticed before that sometimes firefox does not unload it self from memory when closed.

5. Coolbrain

No,I havent checked taskmanager,but I will.The connections are established even when firefox is not launched.After a bootup,and im at my desktop,I will go straight to port explorer to check,and all the connections are established even thoguh I have started up firefox.

6. beads

beads Registered Member

Coolbrain;

FF is kind of renown for having lots of connections open at once. Release 1.5.0.4 has solved a good deal of these problems. If you are on the most up to date release AND FF is not letting go you may have some sort of odd problem with an extention but that's bordering on speculation without being able to see the machine.

One way to check all this out if you don't have too many extentions would be to uninstall FF and reload with a new download and check again.

Mozila has a working beta version (2.0) that also should fix some of the memory leakage problems but as a rule of thumb: PE will report one instance of FF for every tab or window you open - plus one. So if I have three tabs open at the same time PE will indicate four processes, et. al.

Thus far I don't think you have too much to worry about.

- beads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.