is this normal for firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello :) i just came over to my friends to install SP2, helen's not here, but on a note pad she wrote
    "flaw in firefox lead to lost data"
    here's a sreenshot of firefox. i suppose i'll have to start scanning for malware and wont get SP2 installed again.
    what should i do? ive put the navigation toolbar back and it all looks normal again, but do you know what "flaw in firefox lead to lost data" means? i put it i google and nothing o_O

Attached Files:

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I had a similar problem yesterday. It was the first time it happened since I started using FireFox several months ago. I shut down Firefox and re-started it and everything was back to normal. I didn't think much about it. So far, no viruses or trojans have been detected in any of my scans.

Rich

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help :) . i just did a scan with adaware and it found 60 critital items. looks like we'll be doing some more scans. these are the scanners i'll use...
    • spybot
    • ewido
    • TDS-3
    • e-scan standalone
    • trend micro
    • AVG 6
    • stinger
    can you think of anythig else we can do? thanks

5. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

No this is not normal.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

mmmm... freaky

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

For scanning, you might want to try out a trial version of Kaspersky 4.5 with the latest updates including the extended database. To get the extended database, you need to change the url in the Update program so that it points to the extended database - i.e. add and "_x" to the update file location. I would recommend that you do not use Version 5 at this time since it creates ADS streams that TDS-3 picks up. Also, you may want to turn on all the deep search capabilities when running KAV as well as all the others. KAV seems to find anything that others may miss but may turn up false positives when using its deep search.

Also you might want to try the new Giant Anti-spyware which seems to have very good coverage of spyware.

Online scans that may be useful include: McAfee's and PestPatrol, but be aware that PestPatrol will give you lots of false positives.

All the products have slightly different coverage, but I usually look for some confirmation before I go about deleting something. Submitting a suspected trojan or virus, which cannot be confirmed, to diamondcs or Kaspersky is usually a good way to confirm. Both have excellent support organizations.

Others may have other additional ideas, but this is what I usually do to try to determine whether a nasty is on my system.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.