Is this normal behavior for a limited user account?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Devinco, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I successfully copied an admin account profile to another admin account.
    Everthing works correctly on the copy when the account is admin.
    All the startup items load, system tray icons appear, desktop icons in order and background picture correct.

But once I set the copied account to a limited user and reboot, things go bad...

1. The task bar becomes gray (no theme).
    2. None of the normal system tray icons load (FW,AV,AT,etc), only the generic volume control.
    3. None of the startup items load. Although in task manager many of the proccesses are running.
    4. The desktop icons are reordered.
    5. The background picture is gone and now it is just solid black.
    6. The Start Menu is now alphabetized instead of its usual order.
    7. When you try to run various programs, errors appear even after setting permissions for the program folder.

Any ideas on how to deal with some of these?
    I've read most of the Aaron Margosis site and searched this forum, but still need some basic help with LUA.

2. tlu

tlu Guest

Devinco, have you tried this solution?

3. Devinco

Hi Thomas,

The admin account that I copied already had all the software and settings done.
    Do I need to reinstall all the programs in the LUA with MakeMeAdmin before they will work?

What about all the other symptoms 1. - 6. ?
    Is that all normal when you switch to LUA?

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Definitely NO! Most applications like browser, email, office programmes work without any problems. Utlities/applications that change the settings of your OS somehow often require admin rights and can be started via Runas or MakeMeAdmin. If some applications cause problems under your user account you can find out why with the help of Regmon and/or Filemon from the Sysinternals site. Very often these problems are solved very easily, e.g. for Ghost Security Suite (if you use that) you need to give full access to your user account for .gsa and .gsr files.

1+2+3: The settings are individual for each account. Try to right-click your task abr and to change the settings accordingly.
    4: You can arrange them as you want.
    5: You can chose any new background picture you want.
    6: I'm not sure about this. I prefer to have alphabetized.
    7: See my remarks above. In addition, some badly programmed applications save created documents in the Programmes folder where your user doesn't have have write access - perhaps it's possible to change the path in the application where these documents are stored.

5. Devinco

Thanks Thomas.

It is almost as if the limited user is using an active desktop.
    When I switch back to admin everything is normal again.
    I will try some things out today after I vote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.