Is this getting ridiculous?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Some us used to get excited over monthly browser market share if our browser did well. Then, they fed us weekly stats and now we seem to have hourly stats being tracked by bloggers (aka tech sites):
    Source

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lmao

this can't possibly be accurate

I enjoy reading that Chrome is fast or whatever because I consider it hte most secure so I'd like to use it regardless of speed. But if Firefox were superior in every way of course I'd drop Chrome in a heartbeat.

I don't get the ridiculous loyalties people have sometimes.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Believe me, neither do I. One of the first arguments discussions I ever had on this site was when I claimed that one of the several reasons I uninstalled MBAM was due to too many false-positives. I've got nothing against MBAM but it seems just mild criticism of a software program elicits the response of what I have dubbed the MBAM Taliban LOL!

My favourite was when someone attacked me on the SUPERAntiSpyware forums when I claimed that I had had no false-positives on SAS but several on MBAM including updating problems (which was a problem for some people living outside of the continental United States at one time), I mean ... I could understand it on the MBAM forums!

Recently, I was discussing anti-malware choices with someone on another forum's security threads. I suggested SAS as either an alternative to MBAM or to be used alongside it. Again, as the person I was talking with didn't seem to know a great deal about these programs, I mentioned the false-positives I had experienced. Another poster jumped on me straight away demanding that I 'prove' that I had false-positives with MBAM (not unlike what happened on this site once) & that as far as he knew MBAM had never had any false-positives, which is patently ridiculous as all anti-malware/virus programs can suffer from them. One of the reasons I run MSE is because of its very low f-p rate, although even that has had a bit of a corker involving Google Chrome recently, although it didn't affect me.

I uninstalled MBAM & its logs from apps data & AFAIK they aren't on my hard drive now. I can't find them. Did this deter the MBAM Taliban? Of course not, the guy just trolled me for a few more posts, I repeated that I have nothing personally against MBAM but eventually I stopped trusting it a bit & decided it was superfluous so I uninstalled it. The 'Taliban' accused me of having 'bunched underwear' or something & then claimed that he would 'not respond to any more of my posts' as I was obviously having some deep personality problems. Which was fine by me.

I was speaking from personal experience, I can't see how it could be misconstrued as some form of attack on a software program. MBAM is a very effective tool & is widely used. I think any anti-malware programs should be used in an educated way, you have to remember that many people believe everything they see that a computer program flags. This is not so much stupidity as just lack of experience. If the f-ps are harmless, fine, but if they can potentially turn your computer into a doorstop, they aren't. Anyway, that's my two bob's worth. ;)

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes. It is getting ridiculous.

For me, "loyalty" and "software" never come together. I just use whatever fits my needs, change it when it doesn´t.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Amen! :thumb:
    Die Fan-boys, die! :argh:

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! Too right.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it is pretty amusing and entertaining sometimes..

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I could never understand why people get offended and defending a software product or browsers like there getting paid to defend it.Reality check get a frigin life already.

9. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Well said. I agree.

Maybe they are getting paid secretly and we just don't know :D

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i don't have allegiances when it comes to browser, i'm flexible.

today it's Chrome, tomorrow it could be IE10, Firefox11 or opera 14.

i don't care; line'em up and i'll try them all.
    i'm a sucker for this kinda stuff. ;)

11. Dark Shadow

Possiable they are.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Of course it's idiotic, but it's very rarely stopped. I've never been one to go all "Joan of Arc" with ones and zeros. If I like them, I'll say good things. If there are some things I don't like about an overall great product, I'll say so. If I think it's utter trash, I'll say so..even if I get overrun by a mob.

You'll have idiocy like this on the net. People can act as stupid as they please and no one can really do a thing about it. Sometimes I do admit it's a little entertaining. Especially in cases where you're berated just for joining in on a conversation in a certain section of a certain forum..but I shall say no more :D

13. 1chaoticadult

I hope so with all that defending going on, at least let it be for something. :p

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Some are for almost certain. Many of them at the very least are on Beta testing teams or mods of a particular vendor's forums.

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm secretly on Google's payroll :p don't tell anyone.

16. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

17. Dark Shadow

I try not to bad mouth anything and just form a opinion and experiences.I remember once with out mentioning names I had Violent BSOD with a security software and right away some jumped all over me like its my fault.Funny thing, once the software was removed the problem was fixed but its my fault.o_O Lets play tactical fan boy,Loading,Aim,Fire.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I knew you were cozy with them :D

19. 1chaoticadult

I knew it. I always had that feeling. :D

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right you are!:thumb:

i can smell those Chrome evangelists from a few parsecs away. ;)

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Two (2) explanations:

-Fanatics (= mostly Teenagers who get blindly...passionate about software X).

-Shills (= pretend the Always-Satisfied "Home User", but in reality,
    they get paid for promoting software X).

:blink:

22. Dark Shadow

Ah ok.
    Where do I sign up to for promoting software.:D

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Such obvious marketing, choose your strong points and your competitors' weak. Then arrange data for better presentation.

24. guest

guest Guest

Hey I want to get paid. My favorite software company is Microsoft, MICROSOFT I WANT MONEY FROM NOW ON. LLOLL

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I should clarify that what I meant to mean by "this" in the title of the thread was that the blog starting to comment on hourly stats for browser share ;) but I guess that train has left the station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.