Is this expected with a wireless mouse?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Recently got a wireless mouse for my laptop. My problem is that if the mouse is idle for some time, it becomes off automatically and becomes ON only after I press the connect button on its bottom. That is OK for me but problem is that each time I make the mouse ON, I have to re-connect it to USB dongle by pressing connect buttons on both of them. My Q is:

1- Is it usuall for a wireless mouse to become off automatically when idle for some time( I have a wireless keyboard/ mouse combo before and it used to be always ON)?

2- Is it expected to re-connect the wireless mouse and USB dongle every time I make my wireless mouse ON?

Thanks for your input.

2. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Ad.1. Yes it is normal, my wireless mouse also become off automatically after ~10 min of idle.
    Ad.2. No, it's not normal. When I press power Off in my mouse and then press ON I don't have to everytime reconnect usb dongle, mouse connect with it automatically.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I have been using wireless mouse from Microsoft for many years but I have never had this experience before. The mouse is always on no matter how long it has gone idle, and I never have to reconnect the mouse.

I was even able to use the wireless mouse when using the Paragon Drive Backup bootable CD. It boot into Linux and it recognize the mouse without the need to connect a wired mouse.

Once connected, I never have to re-connect it again. In order to save the batteries life, I would turn my mouse off when I shut down my computer, and when I turn on my mouse again the next day, it will be working as usual.

Would it be the case where the configuration of the mouse settings turn the mouse off to save batteries life?

4. sded

sded Registered Member

Mine doesn't turn off (I have the red Logitech) but check under Device Manager for a power management setting for your mouse that would allow your computer to turn off the mouse.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I forgot to mention, I have Logitech wireless mouse.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks all, so swithching off automatically, to save batteries, is usuall( seems this feature is not present in all brands of wireless mouse).

I need to return my mouse as it,s defective( needs to re-connect again n again).

Thanks all for the helpfull replies.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think an option to configure this behaviour is not available in all brands and when avaialable it will need mouse software to be installed. Just my guess.

8. sded

sded Registered Member

I realize it is not always configurable (allowing turnoff is actually grayed out on my driver in Device Manager) but I am using the Microsoft Vista drivers for a HID compliant mouse, not anything from Logitech.

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

This automatic OFF mode doesn't depends on installed software on your computer. It depends on your mouse only, if it's new then probably will have this option if not then you can have not this feature in your mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.