Is This Correct?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Ryan Hayward, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan Hayward

Ryan Hayward Registered Member

Host Process For Windows Services

- Deny communication for svchost Internet IN - Deny

I have outbound set for allow but I was getting a popup window asking me if I wanted to allow or deny an inbound...

I just need to know if I need to change it to allow...

Trusted zone settings are blank.

2. Ryan Hayward

Hmm, looks like I need to set it to allow as I couldn't check email or activate new software I purchased today with the deny setting....

Sorry for the waste of a thread.

3. osip

osip Registered Member

4. Ryan Hayward

Oh crap! Good thing I came back here and thanks for the response.
    I've switched it back to ask.

Its funny as I always thought that a firewall blocks all incoming, though?o_O
    Good example being Comodo and windows firewall.. They never asked me for permission with inbounds. Does this mean they have a flaw in allowing inbounds to access Host Process or are they configured so that only your ISP and trusted apps can have the priviledge?

5. Ryan Hayward

Sorry for the double post but is it really safe to allow DHCP inbound, regardless of IP address? I've noticed I cannot edit the rules for DHCP so I'm presuming its safe...;)

6. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I'm not an expert but DHCP stands for Dinamic Host Configuration Protocol (if I'm not mistaken) and what is does is to give you an IP whenever you join a network (domain wise or not) so I your machine is set to use a fixed IP on the network it is working or to connect to the modem/router that gives you internet acces you "could" disable it (given all is perfectly configured) but if it is set to obtain an IP dinamicaly, then you NEED DHCP in order for it to work properly.
    In most cases (virtually all) DHCP is not an immediate threat and thus all machines have it enabled.

7. Ryan Hayward

Thankyou for that. Yes, I'm still on dialup.

BTW, Just wanted to say how much I love this security suite. For their first year, I have to say they have done a stellar job in comparison to many vendor's first attempts at an all-in-one suite. I can only imagine how much better it will become in the future, not that it really needs any serious changes. Its what I loved about Nod32, the improvements never became bloatware like Trend Micro's and Norton's so called improvements.

8. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

You're most certaily right!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.