Is this a Xceed ftp alert a False Positive

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richrf, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Giant AS is alerting me to the presence of BingoFun on my system. I believe it is largely due to registry entries for XceedFtp.dll . However, there is no indication that the BingoFun .dll is on my system. The XceedFtp.dll is present but I think it is probably being used by some other software on my system though I do not know which one. I am using:

1) AceFtp
    2) CoffeeCup VisualDesigner

both of which have Ftp components.

I don't want to delete or quarantine XceedFtp, especially since no other anti-spy that I have is alerting me. Does anyone have any idea how I might track down which software might be using XceedFtp.dll? Thanks.

Rich

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If the DLL is a module in a running process, you can track it down with DiamondCS's, Advanced Process Manipulation. Process Explorer also does this. An alternative for tracking active DLLs is PrcView, which works in conjunction with a DOS box, to provide txt files. All of these are freebies.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you're trying to do, but I hope that helps.

By the way, I've been trialing Giant AS for a couple of days and I have found it 'buggy', so best to double check things! ;)

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

Thanks for the assistance. I will try to catch the xceed software when it is running, but I have not found it in an active state yet. It may just be a residule from some past program installation.

I agree that Giant does give its fair share of FPs. At first they were quick to respond, but it seems like response time has slowed down quite a bit. They may be overwhelmed with questions such as FP problems. I run it once in a while and it catches some cookies. But mostly, I am getting FPs which is bad if a new user is not aware of this possibility. Not as bad as SpySweeper or Pest Patrol (on my machine) but they still exist.

Thanks again for the help,

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.