Is this a virus?

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by joemack, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joemack

joemack Registered Member

A few days ago a problem surfaced where blank IE (6.0) pages would frequently open after IE was launched. I couldn't close them without ending the IE process using task manager.

Then Norton Anti Virus stopped loading and I get a message suggesting I uninstall and reinstall it.

Open programs do not show up on the task bar.

I cannot cut and paste - either within a document, folder to folder, or to another drive. The paste option is dimmed.

I'm running XP home edition.
    I have been using Norton Anti Virus and frequently update the definitions.
    I regulary run Ad Aware and Spybot.
    I get Microsoft Updates on a regular basis.
    I recently found "CleverIEHooker.Jeired" on my machine and haven't been able
    to get rid of it. I will follow the instructions on other threads to delete it.

I've had good success with Norton Anti Virus but this sure looks like a virus.

I would appreciate any suggestions on determining root cause for these problems.

Thanks!

2. Taz71498

Taz71498 Registered Member

Hello joemack,

Download Hijack This Save this program in My Documents. Run the program, and press Scan. When you are doing this, make sure you have No Internet Explorer Windows open, including this one. You will notice the Scan button will turn into a "Save Log" button. Save the log and Post that log onto this topic. DO NOT Delete or modify anything yet, as some of it is needed to keep your system in Good Shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.