Is This a Good NOD32 Machine Setup?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hangetsu, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Hi all, I just wanted to get the expert's opinions on this configuration for my main PC at home (Vista Home Professional rig, used for games / work):
    NOD32
    Windows Defender
    Norton AntiBot
    Vista Firewall *
    Router (w/ NAT)
    TM HijackThis

* While I have the Vista firewall set to its default settings, I'd probably feel better restricting outbound using the Advanced Security interface. However, its VERY difficult to figure out which Vista services / apps need to be granted outbound access; I've set up Windows Update, Time, and Windows Defender, but as there is no concrete documentation from Microsoft on what should have access, you're pretty much on your own to guess. Not something I want on my primary PC, so I'm left wondering if its better to leave it as it is, or to risk choking some Vista process by turning on outbound filtering... :blink: Setting up rules is easy, knowing which rules to set up is the hard part!

In any event, am I missing anything? I'm a relatively safe surfer, play online game s(so performance is critical), and do work from home on this machine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Id replace windows defender with superantispyware pro.

3. Hangetsu

I'm a bit iffy with SAS - On the plus side, I've seen a number of people sing its praises here, but I don't know the company well, and SiteAdvisor throws up a warning for the site (although a lot of people have commented that it is an incorrect review). But yes, Anti-spyware / Anti-malware is one weakpoint I thought of, but wasn't sure if NOD's features + MS Defender would cover each other on that point.

In particular, I'd LOVE a recommendation on an effective on-demand AS/AM scanner that doesn't have a resident component - i.e. something that can augment my current defenses with a weekly scan, but not take up day-to-day resources.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SAS free :)

5. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We don't link to "dubious" sites. This is an obvious reference to the site advisor listing of www.superantispyware.com - the sites they list as dubious/harmful also host thousands of other software titles - they are simply software download sites. There are no pages on SUPERAntiSpyware.com that link to any of those sites.

SUPERAntiSpyware works great as an on-demand scanner and will compliment your set up well.

6. Hangetsu

Nick -- My apologies, I should have listed where that reference came from, and yes its from SiteAdvisor. I have no personal experience with SAS and its website linking to "dubious" sites. I wasn't trying to disparage the app, just present my personal concerns; Looking at my post now, it definitely does not come across well - I'm going to edit it.

Out of curiosity - The Free scanner looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Can you confirm there are no resident processes following an installation (i.e. I won't see any processes for SAS unless I have the app open)?

I'll continue my research into it, but are there any other scanners that operate in a similar fashion.

7. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I believe the members of this group will vouch for SAS and that we are in no way involved in any shady activities.

8. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Another "two thumbs up" for SAS here. :thumb: :thumb:

I'd use it instead of Defender....I found Defender has gone downhill since the change from the original Giant's a while ago.

9. MsFluffyMuffin

MsFluffyMuffin Registered Member

I was suspicious of SAS for a while, mostly when it first came out, version 2 started to win me over, but I love version 3 and wouldn't be with out it now, in my personal opinion and from experience it's one of the best out there, Ad-Aware has gone down hill, SpyBot S & D is great, so is A-Squared, Ewido sucks ass I'm afraid, always has, un-reliable and dangerous as the malware as it claims to remove :( , the best of the free bunch is SAS, seen it clean many an infection the others couldn't find or stuff they left behind, well done to the SAS team :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hugs,
    Fluffy

PS. About my comments on Ewido, I have used it and monitored what it did over months and found it to remove innocent files or reg keys, even when it was saying they were something different or just in a different folder, buggy and nasty is Ewido from my experience :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.