Is this a decent/good free anti-trojan?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Comp01, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I know its not being updated anymore, or anything, but I atleast want some MINIMUM protection from trojans, so I was looking through this site (err, Wilders.org since the forums are technically on a different domain name) and found "Trojan First Aid Kit" and "TrojanCheck v5.04"

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Comp01.

If I was looking for a free A/T program,I would wait for a2.
    It hasn't been released yet,but there will be a free version.

I am hesitant to trust any program that isn't active with updates or upgrades.
    My concern would be how well an inactive A/T detects or handles new trojans or worms.
    That's just my opinion. ;)

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

a2? Whats that? (lol, stupid I am lol) and is there a website with some info? And back on topic a bit more, is right now, I am just looking for some minimum protection, and make sure I dont have any, or anything like that..

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

GFI on line trojan scanner
    The only specific on line trojan scanner
    http://www.trojanscan.com

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, would that Online scanner find for instance, a keylogger if I possibly had one? and is it a safe site? (assuming so, seeing as this is a SECURITY forum, but still like to be safe :p)

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Cant comment about how good detection is, but be aware online PORT scanners are not really any good.

Only good online scans are free AV scans which download a scan engine to actually scan FILES and memory, but they dont scan as well for trojans as a real memory scan (TDS Process Memory Scan for example)

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I guess you coulld always download a trial one . However regarding is the site safe . I got it from here http://www.wilders.org/free_services.htm

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Any unmaintained (not updated) AV or AT product is not worth using. Things change too rapidly and out of date scanners can actually cause more problems than they are going to fix. There are no good free AT solutions at this time. The only currently available (released and maintained) ATs worth anything today are the main three you'll see people reference: BOClean, TDS and Trojan Hunter (alphabetical order).

As for the http://www.trojanscan.com/ scanner, yes, I would say that it is safe. Wilders has reviewed the site and as SPC mentioned, it is now recommended at wilders.org. That site is a Trojan file scanner similar to an online virus scanner (like Panda or others), using an ActiveX control to execute a local file scan from within your browser.

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Ahh good to know it isnt just a PORT scanner !
    But yes database updates are critical of course, among other things :)

10. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I did a little test on my trojan collection. The only trojan found was Netbus 1.70
    No show. :mad:
    Dolf

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, I said it was safe to run, not that it was the ultimate scanner. ;)

But, it'd be good to know how your collection is structured and what it contains in order to better understand your results. Are they in archive files? Are they still in the original download kits from where ever you got them off the web? Do they include actual trojan servers, or are the kits just editservers and clients?

As with any AV/AT test, the test conditions can make a big difference. A test run against a private collection may not be a good indicator of the scanner's capabilities when it's run on a system that actually has a trojan server installed.

12. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, Right now I'm just waiting on a2 to be released (If ever?)..

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

35 out of 80 ("out of the box") trojan servers over here, when we've tested the service before putting it up on our site. Far from a top notch score - average/medium as for a free service ;)

regards.

paul

14. Little Davel

Little Davel Guest

I have been using trojanscan - so far its detected nothing. But it appears they don't update to often. (Update added date appears on Trojanscan webpage.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.