Is this a decent chat client?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am wondering if Miranda IM is a decent multi-protocol chat client? I'm trying to switch to something with just the very basics, and thats light on resources, this sounds like its it... anyone else use it? or have opinions on it?

2. discogail

discogail Security Expert

I love Miranda...it's my new fave......supports AIM...ICQ...MSN..& IRC...indeed..it's very small ..light & easy.

3. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Trillian messenger is worth of trying :) really good IM supporting the same as Miranda but Yahoo too
    http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I use Trillian Pro and love it. I usually have it logged on to all 5 chat services at once..........

Kent

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I use Trillian free at the moment, but, it seems to be a bit unstable on my PC (Probably just a 98SE prob) so, I might install Miranda just to check it out.

6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I use too Miranda IM which is free and opensource.
    It supports many network/protocol available by plugins and is very light.
    Everything can be customized, more than Trillian (last time i have used it), a small thing i love for instance is to be able to choose for which contacts to have an online notification (when the contact first connect to the network) because i have many contacts, and i just want to be aware of the connection from personal friends, to avoid to be spammed every 5s by connection notifications ;)

I think it is the one which support the most of IM network (ICQ, AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo, Gadu-Gadu, Tlen, Netsend and other protocols).

7. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I really enjoy miranda very much. What I like best is that there is a wide variety of plugins (a lot of which are open source) that let you customize miranda just the way you want. You can try various plugins out for yourself and if you dont like it you just delete the dll from miranda's plugin folder. Very customizable! The two other things I like about it is that it is free and VERY light on resources which was mentioned before heh.

Sure there are disadvantages too, which can be expected from a software that is still in its "development" stages. Ex: File transfering (specifically "sending" in some protocols) is still an issue. And you might run into some bugs with certain plugins. But those issues usually get resolved quite promptly and if not... the support forum is also very helpful with quite a lot of knowledgable Miranda users and developers.

There is a plugin for yahoo but it is also in its very early stages. Mostly implemented in nightly builds for testing... Miranda - Yahoo 0.2.x .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.