Is there redundancy in my security setup?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by zapjb, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd like to slim down on the security applications I have actively running. I'm not looking for different programs. Believe me, I've tested a lot of configurations. Please only knowledgeable responses. Thanks.

OK my specs. Pretty standard hardware. I built this system, I think over 3yrs ago. Not a gamer nor a video editor. So I don't give a hoot about the latest & greatest. Antec case & antec PSU 350watt, 2 - 120mm antec fans 1 in/ 1 out. Asus mb integrated vid & sound (yes I don't care). 2 x 512mb crucial ddr 2700. AMD 2500 barton, stock thermal pad & hsf. 2 drawer HDD for easy cloning & swapout, not hot swappable. DVD rom liteon, TDK 32/10/40x CDRW & FDD. I'm on cheapo unlimited $5/month 56k. XP vlk SP2 updated.

My active security setup. Set to go on Windows startup: ProcessGuard 3.2 Full, NOD32, Sygate pf (last freeware version), Regprot 2.0, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware. Then after startup I start Teatimer (Spybot S&D) & WinPatrol.

Passive protection: Bugoff, SpywareBlaster, xp-AntiSpy, ScriTrap, DSOstop2, Harden-It, SocketLock & Windows Worms Doors Cleaner.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

seems like a good setup. the closest overlap is possibly between teatimer and regprot, so u can disable teatimer if u want.

also, why'd u list ur hardware setup?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Didn't want anybody saying what's your specs. Btw I surf almost 100% of the time with Opera.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

RegProt, TeaTimer, and WinPatrol are all doing the same thing. Since WinPatrol is the most thorough, I would just stick with it.

There's also no real reason for DSOStop, this vulnerability was patched a long time ago. SocketLock doesn't really add any security, it only makes it so that certain bots can't initiate DDoS attacks from your system (although they could do everything else), and this functionality was also removed in XP SP2.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks Notok. Per your suggestion I've subtracted TeaTimer. But I think I'll keep Reg Prot as it's resource useage is so very low. 220k on my computer.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would remove all passive except SpywareBlaster and remove Winpatrol, Regprot and Teatimer - ProcessGuard is enough.
    Mrk

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would remove the Teatimer and WinPatrol...

8. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Nice Setup. I would install Ewido, A², spyware blaster and update your firewall with Jetico (freeware) .. just my two cents :)

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the responses. Right now I'm holding tight to my config minus TeaTimer.

@Infinity - Thanks for the praise. I can't stand ewido, a2 & jetico. They all go whacked on my puter. Specially jetico imo what a pos fw. It won't shut up. And I already have SpywareBlaster. Oh I also have KAV 3.5 w/ext databases NON resident as backup scanner with rt click integration.:D

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Jetico is a little weird because normaly for firewalls, we think to tell it "allow always", however for jetico, this only applies to the IP. Instead you have to tell it to "Treat as:" then select "Web Browser". It actually has the same number of popups as most other firewalls, except you have to know what option to choose ;) . It is a little buggy though. I like your setup, and as previously said by other posters, remove teatimer, and possibly winpatro.

Alphalutra1

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

wow thats old. whered u get it and is it good as a backup scanner?

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I have my sources. It's excellent as a backup scanner. Imo it's the best non-resident AV with right click integration. Right now it has 188,631 records. Thats a hell of a lot of definitions.:D

I've taken some suggestions gathered here. Thanks. I've subtracted (uninstalled) WinPatrol, RegProt & TeaTimer.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.